• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake/Ex. Manifold

89CherokeePioneer

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ 4.0 Aw4

So, what combination of tools are you guys using to get to the lower last right two intake manifold bolts? Am I the only one that can't even see/touch them?

Edit: I ask because my uppers were finger tight. It actually idles smoother now that I got them a bit tighter. I suspect the lower ones are just as bad though.

I don't remember having to use anything exotic the last time I tightened mine. I had a selection of extensions, a socket universal joint, a set of deep well sockets and a medium size 3/8" torque wrench.
A little trick is to use a stack of short extensions to make a long one, you can actually tighten around a moderate curve this way and more controllable than a universal joint socket.
Hard to get two hands down there. Remove the air box. Another time saver is to have somebody on the bottom with a flashlight to place the socket on the nut (or talk you onto it) and somebody on top to tighten it.
I remove the heat shield (and throw it away) when I have an intake off (I usually replace the injector "O" rings anyway). The newer models don't have the intake heat shields and IMO they are mostly window dressing anyway. Without the heat shields, finding, tightening and removing the bottom nuts gets a whole lot easier.

9/16" "flex" socket (inbuilt universal joint,) makes the job /far/ easier. Remove the airbox, so you can get easier access from up front.

Torque to 19-21 pound-feet. Yes, loose screws are common. Yes, they're easy to deal with. Yes, I check mine as part of an annual inspection.

Back