• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbox POP

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
So I adjusted my TPS and went from 2k to 1k (which is fine for me). My jeep is on stands and I just wanted to go out and start it up for my personal enjoyment. Well I had it running for a little bit then went to go rev it up a bit and I had a stumble then what sounds like a POP from the airbox. I waited a little bit went outside the cab and reved it from the TB. Same thing POP from the airbox. Is something going wrong or does my airbox have some popcorn under there. :lickout:

OverTheHillsATTW said:
So I adjusted my TPS and went from 2k to 1k (which is fine for me). My jeep is on stands and I just wanted to go out and start it up for my personal enjoyment. Well I had it running for a little bit then went to go rev it up a bit and I had a stumble then what sounds like a POP from the airbox. I waited a little bit went outside the cab and reved it from the TB. Same thing POP from the airbox. Is something going wrong or does my airbox have some popcorn under there. :lickout:
Sounds to me like the TPS isn't registering any movement at all, therefore no timing advance, when you rev it up without advance you are creating a very lean condition resulting in a backfire. Backprobe the TPS and open up the throttle slowly, as you do this the voltage should change gradually.

Could it be a low fuel issue by any chance? I'm just wondering because im at an awkward incline with the jack stands and close to E. I'm going out now with my volt-meter to try and re adjust the TPS again.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Could it be a low fuel issue by any chance? I'm just wondering because im at an awkward incline with the jack stands and close to E. I'm going out now with my volt-meter to try and re adjust the TPS again.
I would say probably not since it runs and idles.

Sounded like it was starving for fuel with the stumble. IDK whats wrong the tps it seems to be reading fine.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Sounded like it was starving for fuel with the stumble. IDK whats wrong the tps it seems to be reading fine.
In that case I would check the fuel pressure, and look for something that may have been disturbed while working with the TPS, such as a vacume line. Just out of curiosity, what symptoms were you having that brought attention to the TPS before you adjusted it?

Really high shift points and crazy idle. I couldn't pull any voltage from it either.

What connector are you probing, the square one or the flat one? Also, what are you getting for your input (reference) voltage and what are you adjusting the output to?

Back