• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

delema to go big or stay small

konoff1998

NAXJA Forum User
well i jsut installed a rc 4.5" lift and looking at it i dont think it is big enough. My delema is should i go with a re 6.5 lift or should i go with a rockkrawler 9" lift. ( i have a 98 xj 231, d30,chrysler 8.25) I would be using this vehicle on the trails and in the winter time on city streets no highway use. any feed back would be benificial. and if i go with either one should i upgrade any of the axle's. i know i need a sye and a new drive shaft.

man any lift bigger than a 6.5 is pointless IMO. Yesterday i rode to cincy in my buddies cherokee and it was horrible on the interstate and those crappy roads in Cincy. He is running 8.5 w spacers and blocks and bilstein 5150s so he is around 10-11. Just trim your fenders and run spacers so you can fit 35s or so

All depends on what you're going to run. Mall, Mud, Rocks, Sand? All need different things. From what you list you want to do nothing wrong with what you've got. I'd buy me a pair of selectable lockers, buy or fab up some nice bumpers, get a set of Super Swampers and a winch, then use the money I had left over to go spend a couple days at The Badlands. Yeah the 6.5 " Coil rear RK kit will make mad flex, but 35's or bigger you're going to be replacing both axles or breaking things, a lot.

FelxdXJ - Would bet your friend has short arm kit? Long arm kits are a totally different thing in the highway ride department.

Just my oppinion.

--Tom

Iam planning on fitting 35 tires soon,While staying with my 4.5 RE super flex kit. So my two cents stay small.

If you are doing DD, then do what's legal in your state and no more.

If you plan on making a trailer queen, do what you want, but remember that the higher you go, the higher your CG will be and the more prone to tip over.

Ron

when did RK start making a 9" kit? Thats just crazy...

as was said - what size tires are you looking to run, and what terrain?

FelxdXJ - Would bet your friend has short arm kit? Long arm kits are a totally different thing in the highway ride department.

Just my oppinion.

--Tom[/quote]
Is it possible to get 11" on short arms????

Sure, if you want those short arms perpendicular to the ground!!!

you can fit any amount of tire on any amount of lift with proper body and bumpstop modification, my vote would be to keep the CG down, stay with the 4.5" lift and trim the crap out of it... i've seen a 4" lifted xj on 37's with no limitations on flex due to rubbing... so it is possible.

asp387 said:
i've seen a 4" lifted xj on 37's with no limitations on flex due to rubbing... so it is possible.

IMG_2704.jpg

Back