• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum lines for D30 4x4

calvynandhobbs

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ that I just installed the Rough Country control arm drop brackets. I have run into a problem in that the hard vacuum lines that control my 4x4 aren't long enough to reach the axle anymore. I've tried taking the ends off to put longer hard lines in, but I can't get them to budge. Do I have to buy all new ends and put them together with the hard vacuum line I already bought? Can I use rubber vacuum lines rather than the hard plastic? If I by new ends to match whats already there how do I connect them? I've never had to deal with hard vacuum lines before. Thanks

Roger

Take a pair of small pliers and squeeze the end of the line carefully and twist from side to side. This works for me almost every time. Just don't break te lines inside the housing.

you can cut and splice in new sections of hard plastic line most parts stores can get you rubber sleeves to join the cuts to the new sections. or get some vacuum line and use a drop of super glue to hold it in place permanetly

I just went to he auto parts store and bought black vacuum hose of the correct diameter to the hard plastic line, cut the lines, glue them to seal in place and zip tie out of the way. I also zip tied the rubber boot to the axle after getting stuck halfway up a hill because the rubber boot came off.

If I had to do it over again I would make my own (or buy if you don't want to fab) posi-lock, cable actuated control for the axle so you don't have to worry about the vacuum at all.

--Tom

replace it with a much more reliable cable setup

Back