• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 problems, and a question

Porch951

NAXJA Forum User
Hello! My first post here, and certainly not my last :)

I recently picked up a '93 XJ 4x2 with 130k. I really just bought it for a second car, and some summer camping.
I've owned it 20 days now (warranty was 15, go figure :cry:), and the transmission has a slipping first, no OD, and a slipping reverse. Transmission fluid was clean...as if it had just been changed. I'm thinking someone put ATF+3 in, the shifts were always pretty "jerky" but i thought that was just how these transmissions were....

Attempted fixes:
Put Merc/Dex III in, with some additive.
Pulled the auto-trans 10a fuse.
...And no luck (though the 2-3 shift isn't nearly as rough now!).

So my questions are:
1. I found the manual. I'm thinking the #2 solenoid might be stuck in the "on" position? Does that sound right for a slipping first, no OD, and a slipping reverse? Where might i find a new solenoid?
2. A local friend has a '99 4wd transmission + transfer case with 80k miles for sale, would i be better off going that route and just doing a 4wd conversion now? I can't just bolt a transfer case in place of my tailhousing if i fix this transmission, can i?

Thanks for any help! And for the record, i have searched, i just need clarity :)
~Chris

1. Solenoids wouldn't cause a slip.

2. You could just bolt a transfer case in place as long as the splines are the same. But you'd also need a front axle+driveshafts from roughly the same year. Spline count must also be the same. (Someone will have a better answer to this) It's possible though.

But if the solenoid were stuck on or halfway on, it would cause the transmission to be sort of in 2nd at a dead stop, and acceleration would cause a slipping feeling...right?

89CherokeePioneer said:
2. You could just bolt a transfer case in place as long as the splines are the same. But you'd also need a front axle+driveshafts from roughly the same year. Spline count must also be the same. (Someone will have a better answer to this) It's possible though.

yes and no....

the output shaft is different between 2wd and 4wd. you'd be better off swapping the whole tranny in a 4wd swap.

As others mentioned, the output shafts are different lengths and would require a near tear-down to swap. The output sensor on the 99 AW4 is different. You'd have to pull the tailcones off and swap the rotor on the shaft and use the 93 sensor. The 99 also has an extra sensor on the input, but you can leave that unhooked.

If pulling the tranny fuse, and it's not shifting manually via the shifter {1st in (1-2),3rd in (3) and 4th in (D)} then it sounds like its mechanical. Keep in mind that you only get out about 1/3 of the fluid with a normal change.

lawsoncl said:
Keep in mind that you only get out about 1/3 of the fluid with a normal change.

Very true. It may be worth a professional flush and fill. (Specify Merc 3 though)!!!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input!
I've decided to go with the low-mileage 4wd trans, since 4wd was a route i was planning on going at some point anyways! (I just wish i was going that route willingly!)

Thanks again,
Chris

Back