• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about tire installation by shop

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

Just had some new tires put on my wife's XJ (Michelin LTX M/S; size is stock for '92 XJ 225/70R15). I know very little about car tires so I'm trying to learn. Sorry if these are dumb questions. Just let me know.

Here's the thing.

I didn't ask the shop about black-walled or white-lettered tires (simply didn't think about it and frankly don't care much, black would be better). So when my wife came home with the new tires they looked black, fine. So this morning I took the tires off to check on the brakes and I noticed two things.

1) they are white lettered, but letters are on the inside (and there are purple stains on them, looks like a spray paint or so); on the outside there is a silly little bar code (no stains).

2) the tread profiles on left and right tires are inverted with respect to eachother.

Questions.

1) what's that with the white letters on the inside, is that common practice (including the weird looking bar code on the outside)?

2) Since sidewalls don't have an arrow on them I assume these are unidirectional tires? Or is there a preferred rolling direction on car tires, i.o.w. does the inversion of the threads from left to right matter (other than esthetics)?

3) Would it be reasonable for me to ask them to mount the tires symmetrically (even if just for esthetics)?

Thanks for any input guys!

1) The white lettering on the inside is protected during shipment by a blue pasty stuff...you can either wash it off or let it come off naturally since they're on the inside. Are you saying that the barcode is white with the blue protectant on it as well?

2) Not knowing those particular tires, I would say that in the absence of a directional arrow that the tires are non-directional.

3) Symmetric? Do these tires have smaller tread blocks on the 'inside' of the tire and larger toward the outside (or vice-versa)? Or are the smaller block on the left side of both front tires (or vice-versa)?

Love Half-Moon Bay...beautiful area.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Usually if you dont indicate a preferance, they will automatically mount them white letter out. I cant say why they didnt do that, maybe your old tires were white letters in so they just did the same with the new ones. Either way, yes, its pretty common to mount them white letters in, I have all mine mounted that way, just personal preferance.
http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/ltx-ms/
If these are the tires you have they are non directional, it doesnt matter which way you mount them or which direction they go. Yes, it would be unreasonable for you to ask them to mount them "symetrical" because when you rotate them, their direction will change anyway and there absolutely no reason you cant rotate these tires from one side to the other side.
As was stated, the blue or purple will wear off in time or can be washed off. The barcode can also be washed off.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks guys. Clears up a lot. My old tires didn't have white lettering so that explains that. I do like the black side out better also.

Ok, so if I understand right, these tires come in just one kind (they're unidirectional and no left-right preference). That explains the noted asymmetry. Great, didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yuccaman, yes the barcode is white. But I guess if Ray says that thing comes off, so that's really a non-issue.

Thanks for the pointers guys. Learned a bunch!

We just recently replaced the tires on our 94 Town & Country, the tires shop also put our tires on white letter in.

You could ask them for white letter out, but that is all personal preference....

As for the symmetrical tread, who cares!! If the tire doesn't state that it is directional, it's not gonna hurt anything....

Back