• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wheel drive only?

Lincoln72

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, from what I understand... as long as the vehicle is driven gently there shouldnt be a problem. My question is... what needs to be done when the rear driveshaft is removed... I have an 01 with the 231. Will the slp yolk come out? does it need to come out? What problems could occur from driving in 4hi with the rear shaft removed? Jumped into a lift a little too quickly and cant wait for completion of the SYE before driving. (payday/shipping) Thanks people!

Unless you have an SYE, you'll loose your fluid out of the transfercase.

I did my sye and ran fwd while waiting for my driveshaft to be made

Being a 2001 you have a sealed tcase yoke anyway.... so you can drive it with no rear drive shaft... At least I think so... (its late and I have had my SYE for to long to remember)

From '96 up Chrysler sealed the back of the t-case to you can remove the drive shaft with out loosing your t-case 'oil'.

--Tom

markw said:
Unless you have an SYE, you'll loose your fluid out of the transfercase.
He has a 97+,it doesn't run a wet shaft!

It will be fine. I ran my 98 on front wheel drive for 2 days while doing some drive shaft/SYE work. No seal needed. As stated above, the factory did it for us on the 97+ ones.

just out of curiosity...when you run without the rear shaft in 4HI (effectively FWD), are you basically putting the same power to the wheels as you are when in normal 2WD at the rear? or does 4HI actually change the gear ratio similar to how 4LO does...

also, when running in FWD, i assume you would want to take it very easy, as it would make sense that the front end is designed to only handle half the torque of the engine instead of getting the full shot like the rear is designed for. any comments?

copbait said:
just out of curiosity...when you run without the rear shaft in 4HI (effectively FWD), are you basically putting the same power to the wheels as you are when in normal 2WD at the rear? or does 4HI actually change the gear ratio similar to how 4LO does...

also, when running in FWD, i assume you would want to take it very easy, as it would make sense that the front end is designed to only handle half the torque of the engine instead of getting the full shot like the rear is designed for. any comments?

yes, no, yes.

the gearing in 4hi is the same as 2hi, it does not change.

you would be correct. the front axle is designed to be able to handle, at most (with safety margin) 1/2 of the torque from the engine.

for people with pre 97 cherokees that dont have sye or seals in the output just take a 20oz plastic bottle and cut about 1/3rd of the top off where you drink out of then take the bottom half and duct tape it around the shaft your drive line goes into. done this a few times to get myself off the trail in fwd after blowing rear u joint straps

is it a problem if i drive highway speeds with front wheel drive only doing a SYE and may need to drive far, also will it be funny with a lockrite

XBoBJ said:
is it a problem if i drive highway speeds with front wheel drive only doing a SYE and may need to drive far, also will it be funny with a lockrite

Yes, with the lockright, you will have a lot of trouble steering....

I've driven my 94 (231 equipped w/ an SYE) for several hundred miles without a rear driveshaft, and a bunch of those were at freeway speeds. No issues.

It *DOES* handle oddly, mostly at slow speeds and in tight corners. The u-joints in the front axles want to make the front wheels bunny hop under power.

Back