• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

painting

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
alright my xj's paint has seen better days. but i don't want to have it professionally painted. so is there a way to paint it with lets say spray paint. or even better roll it on with a roller?:shocked: as long as it looks semi good and lasts i will be happy. right now its got a sunburn and its peeling.:sunshine:

I too spraybombed mine...lol.......od green...i like it..

my toyota buddy has a writeup on using a roller...and it has pics...looks AMAZING...be good if you dont konw how to use a gun and have the patienceto do it...seems like alot of work just to use a roller..but cheap and the results are amazing...i get the site and put it up on here later

Some auto paint stores can mix up your XJs' sock color and match its' fading to. Then they can put it into spay cans. They usually will mix as little as a pint which will fill about 4 spay cans. By matching your color from the start you won't have to deal with different door jam and under hood colors. Also, future paint chips won't show up as much.

if you mean what paint i used.....i took the advice of TsizeXJ

and went to walmart and bought the Krylon stuff that is in the camo series...its the ultra flat Olive Drab green....stuff is THICK!!!! take your time and do as many coats as you can.......

what i did to help it out a little bit is took it down to primer first but i HAD too you shouldnt have too.....if you still have most of the stock paint...just rough it up a bit..

i did one coat primer....sanded it......2 coats OD Green paint....sanding in between..then i put on a coat of the SATIN clear in a car and while it was still tacky one more coat of green ...made it a lil harder but still kept the od look.....hope it keeps..lol..i like it....

if i had took more time it would have looked better but.....i really am not concerned with it being pristine cause its going to get scratched all to crap anyhow....

Prep work is the key, I've been slowly prepping my MJ for paint, the more time you take making sure you've got something nice to spary onto, the nicer it'll look in the end.

i really think im going to do it. :) yay its going to be so much better that mucky red burgundy peely crap.
and i may try this on my classic if it comes out good enough.

You can get Martin Seynor(sp) enamel from most well stocked NAPAs in a host of colors, I chose factory Sterling Silver Metalic (not original, but same vintage and cooler for the A/C). A gallon with reducer and hardener ran me around $200. I did the prep work by sanding with a DA at 150 grit in the driveway and drove it over to a buddy's. Removed everything I could and taped the rest with quality masking tape, sprayed the bare spots with primer/sealer and then primed the whole thing. Sanded with 600 after the primer dried and shot the whole thing, about 4 coats to get the metalic to settle right, all in one afternoon.

This was done in a carport on a nice day (painting right around 4:00 PM) by two amatures. Granted we had professioanl tools and materials, but we aren't talking show quality here. I went enamel purely for durability. A true automotive paint will stand up much better to the trail wear than rattle can will, and if I want to make it look pretty I can color sand or compound it out without worrying about going thru to the old paint.

The finished product
a77f9688.jpg

And I do wheel it. In fact I sctached it all up the following weekend on some narrow trails. Still shines and looks good without anything more than soapy water.

HTH

my brother and i painted his XJ
used rustoleum flat camoflauge paints the first time, and he did it again with flat black.
hand sanded off the clear and taped the windows.
never really faded

Tip for using rattle cans: do not even try to re-use a partly used can. If you use half a can, turn it upside down to blow the nozzle clean then mark it 'patio furniture only' - you will never get those cheap plastic nozzles clean enough to get a auto body quality finish out of it.

Back