• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SCCA MJ Suspension SetUp?

stockMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone now what suspension they ran on these trucks?
I came across this ad today and those trucks look bad A$&

jeep88sccachamp.jpg

I don't know what the setup is, but it's not too entirely modified I believe.

those were 4 cylinder pickups too btw.

lawsoncl said:
As I understood it, Jeep dominated the competition by having a big I6 against their small 4-cyl engines.

i believe that this is incorrect. Jeep was not allowed to use the I6 in the competitions as my papers show.

I thought all of the trucvks were restricted to 4 cylinders in that series. I do remember Hot Rod Magazine building a stroked and Paxton blown MJ as a project truck (kinda looked like the yellow MJ owned by Hesco, BTW) that one was a real runner too. IIRC that truck was taken into the desert with a then new Corvette and below 120mph the MJ could give the Vette a run for it's money! Above 120mph..............the truck's shape kinda got in the way.

I found out first hand last week that the XJ's(thus the MJ's) shape is worthless above 120. There is definitely a barrier right around that speed. I too would like to know what suspension components, adjustments, set-ups, etc. those SCCA trucks had.

Last edited:
In the article they mention that the Archer Brothers were the guys campaigning the SCCA Comanchee's. They are still in the business and can be found at www.archerracing.com . If you find anything out you are required to report back or face a permanent ban.

--Tom

Keep us informed, sounds like that could be interesting! I think Hesco also was involved in the engine development for those trucks.

Here's the yellow Hesco MJ, if I didn't know any better that truck looks like the Hot Rod truck with a cheap Maaco paint job. Sorry, but I can't find any pics of the Hot Rod truck. This does look pretty bad ass though
http://hescosc.com/customergallery.asp?action=largePic&photoID=47778

If they were running the 4-cyl engines, it's a little sneaky that the smaller picture in the ad shows an Eliminator MJ which definitely had the 6-cyl.

lawsoncl said:
If they were running the 4-cyl engines, it's a little sneaky that the smaller picture in the ad shows an Eliminator MJ which definitely had the 6-cyl.

no it isn't.

they want to sell MJ's, they raced MJ's and it's a good front for selling the MJ.

regulations allowed only the 4 cylinder comanches.

At least it was the same vehicle, unlike certain forms of (dull) racing popular in the US where have basicaly nothing in common with the car they represent. :rolleyes:

I did like how at the end of that allpar.com article they talked about how they wraped the MJ in Dakota sheet metal and trounced everone in the Stadium truck series. Would love to see how they beefed up the chassy on those.

--Tom

these trucks COULDN'T have had the metric tonne package. the back i lifted about 2" with that package...and those, are definitely lower than stock.

I could have been seeing things since it was fairly late at night, or maybe those were the ones that were raced off road, but it also wouldn't be that hard to swap in the appropriate springs for the job and use the rest of the HD hardware either.

Last edited:
Back