• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When you break a D35 what actually breaks?

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
OK, everyone says D35 are prone to breaking, especially offroad and with big tires. I'm not going bigger than 31s but what actually breaks when these things go?

Everything.

Ive seen it all. Shafts (I think are #1), Pinion yokes, grenading gears, bent tubes.

I saw one pull out a gun and shoot itself...

in2fords said:
my buddy has a 2.5 yj on 38.5 Iroks, breaks chromo's almost every month!! Im willing to bet its cause his housing is flexing.

Tell me not on a D35.

That might have been the one I saw shoot itself. Just to put itself out of its own misery...

37 MT Baja Claws = snapped D35 chromoly shaft and a nice tow-truck ride home.

CoyHill009.jpg

I have greanaded gears on mine twice in 3 months. I then swapped in an 8.25 and have had no problems. I am running 33" Claws.

iv seen shafts break. iv seen rings have the gears ground off. seen a carrier grenade.. know one guy who's running a stock d35 with 4:88's and an auto locker on a 6cyl with 35's and he's broke front d30 alloys... Never had a problems with the d35.. Lots of luck but he knows what to and what not to do with it.. If you must run a d35 at least get disks so you can limp off the trail.. or just get an 8.25 or d44. Or buy the d60/d44 combo i have for sale. When i get done with them theyll be ready for a bolt on affair with an xj..

Begster said:
37 MT Baja Claws = snapped D35 chromoly shaft and a nice tow-truck ride home.

CoyHill009.jpg
damn people are stupid

rammie said:
OK, everyone says D35 are prone to breaking, especially offroad and with big tires. I'm not going bigger than 31s but what actually breaks when these things go?

Yes.

what? NO!

blew up my 35 with monster 235/75r15 tires, pinion bearing and spider gears

never broke one but I feared it enough to get rid of it. Thinking about nine hour walk out of the bush was worth the $400 it cost to prevent such a disaster

in2fords said:
my buddy has a 2.5 yj on 38.5 Iroks, breaks chromo's almost every month!! Im willing to bet its cause his housing is flexing.

i'm willing to bet it's because he's a idiot who's running 38.5 iroks on a dana 35.

in2fords said:
yeah, 35!!! he's given up on the jeep and now runs a CUCV chevy, 14b/D60 and some 40"s!!

gawd tell me he didn't give up on the jeep based on the fact that it had a dana 35, and he couldn't get his thumb out his butt long enough to realize that you CAN'T expect a dana 35 to hold up to any abuse, whatsoever!

sorry, I'm not trying to come off like a jerk...too much. but even Jeep has stated that the dana 35 is a street use axle, and jeep dealerships tell you that they'll spill their guts out with factory tires. easy.

anyways. I blew a dana 35's spider gears into the pinion, which wrecked the ring gear, and seized the bearings. that was when i had a 2.8 in the jeep
since then, I've blown the ring/pinion on another one, snapped one shaft on another, and two more sets of spiders..this is with the camaro 3800 v6 that i put in the jeep.

now, i've kept the axle because all along I've had the dana 44 for it with 4.10 gears, and have been looking for a matching front. i blew the axle the first time a couple years ago, then the rest of them are within the last year since i dropped in the motor. new axles are being installed for the simple fact that the dana 35 is a poor choice by anyone.

Back