• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Disconnect behavior???

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
I was out farting around on the beach earlier when I heard a "POP" and a hiss....

First thing I thought was I just blew a tire.....Nope....

Then I noticed that I was starting to bog down in the soft sand up by the dunes.....

I thought, oh S:soapbox:T!! The front disco let go.....

I tried just on a whim, back into 2-HI and the 4_HI, that did the trick, front axle re-engaged just fine.

WTF happened??? The vacuum lines are tight and in there proper places.....

Maybe it's time to do the Non-disco conversion???

Add in the event I do the conversion, is it just the seal and the axle I need (like everyone seems to think), or is there more to it???

yep, its the inner seal, a block off plate and a one peice shaft. i think porc has alloys with block off plate and seal for 494. pretty good, thats probablly what ill do soon enough...

Cool, looks I will scour the wrecking yard for the shaft...(what years should I look for?)

I am Assuming the block off plate is for where the shift fork and motor are?

And the WHOLE reason I was farting around on the beach, in the dunes....

BTW, this little slice of life is quite literaly just a few minutes drive down the street from my place.....

Welcome to Long Beach (okay this is the Klipsan neighborhood aproach, but still, LB)
3024245_29_full.jpg

You can't see it well, but there are tracks up to the dune grass...All from me....And, yes, it is illegal to drive in the dunes.
3024245_30_full.jpg

Yes, there are houses behind the dunes.....
3024245_31_full.jpg

Looking North, towards Ocean Park. OP is about 2 miles from where I am here.
3024245_32_full.jpg

Ocian in view (From the Lewis And Clark expidition)
3024245_33_full.jpg

Ocean front property.....
3024245_35_full.jpg

Don't you wish you were here??
3024245_33_full.jpg

Not to get on your case but you point out that you were not only on the dunes but that it is illegal, then put pics on the net?
might as well be throwing a puppy off a cliff!

Yep, I know... Let the :flame: begin....

It also helps to have a drift wood collection permit, that way you can drive in the dunes, just so long as you are actually picking up wood. The wood that is out on the beach now is WAY to big to fit in the back of my XJ. I would bring it home, but the logs out there are the same size and weight as the Jeep itself.

I know the Beach patrol officers from when I worked NAPA Auto parts, plus I helped pull their Exploder out of it's own hole (I didn't get pictures of that today though...). So I may have some clout there too....

Now that I know my disco is being a brat, I am going to stay off the beach until I can get it fixed.

Last edited:
in2fords said:
Not to get on your case but you point out that you were not only on the dunes but that it is illegal, then put pics on the net?
might as well be throwing a puppy off a cliff!

Alot of crap is illegal. I'd count his on the very bottom of the list of importance.

We don't have tree huggers out on the beach....

They don't seem to like salt water...LOL

Like I siad, the only time its legal is if you have a drift wood collection permit and you don't drive on the property owners land.

Most cops around here aren't that picky though. If you doing donuts and stupid crap, yeah they will get you. What I was doing was okay, just driving looking for wood....

poorboy_616 said:
We don't have tree huggers out on the beach....
Maybe not, but we DO have "tree-huggers" that like to monitor this and other 4wd sites just looking for situations that are or appear to be, illegal and/or irresponsible. Sounds like you were in the grey area for both.

Use your head.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I definately was in the "grey" area....

Luckily, most people who are out on the beach now are just using it to bypass the main road thru town, meaning, that most of the beach drivers are locals and know what is and isn't okay....

I did have one cop look at me while I was up there, but he didn't bother to chase me. Though it was the same one who got the Exploder stuck at the end of the approach....

:banghead: for not getting a picture of the LB city police druiser being pulled out by an ordinary citizen..... :laugh2:

Usually when they pull you out, you get a ticket for being an obstruction to traffic, since the beach is actually considered a national highway, even thoug the speed limit is only 25 MPH.....

Maybe I should have charged them??

Last edited:
Back