• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding 1.5 to 2" of lift

Millissa01

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, I'm new to the XJ modifications. Yeah, I'm a chick who likes to wheel. Thank you ahead of time for your patience!!

I'm thinking about going a little taller on the lift to accomidate 33x12.5x15 MTRs (free) on 15x10s (free). I'm looking at 2" coil spacers up front and Tera Flex 1.5" shackles out back. Has anyone added the 2" spacers and TF 1.5s to an existing lift that had new rear spring packs? If I truly get another 1.5 to 2" what else will I have to replace? LCA, Trackbar, Etc???? Oh yeah, I also know that I will have to do alot of work on my bump stops so the 33s won't hit.

Yes, I have searched and searched but everything I see if for guys with AALs and I got the full spring packs from RC. Also, I'm not afraid to cut a lot of metal, just ordered Bushwackers from JCWhitney for a great price $345 including shipping!!

Here is what I have:
2001 XJ Sport 4.0 D30/8.25
Nates Front bumper:(the reason i need a 2" spacer up front)
RCX 3" (630H) New front coils, new rear leaf packs, Nitro 9000 shocks, 1" TC drop, steering stabilizer.

Yep i did a 3" then added the $112 Terra flex kit like 2 weeks later and with a little trimming clear 33's

Mikes012.jpg

mjdavis31 said:
Yep i did a 3" then added the $112 Terra flex kit like 2 weeks later and with a little trimming clear 33's

Thanks for the response, your truck looks good dirty!Did you have to modify anything else? Brake lines, control arms, track bar, etc???

mjdavis31 said:
you wil need control arms upper and lower track bar and a drop pitman arm would be good oh and brake lines

I forgot the brake lines will need to be lenghtened, I did read that on my search. Should I go with adjustable control arms or fixed units?

The bushwackers will clear you plenty of room for 33s. I'd avoid getting a drop pitman arm unless you are going to adjust your trackbar angles as well. You want to keep your drag link and trackbar parallel to avoid bump-steer.

But...you may want to address your steering, going up to around 5". As MJDavis said, adjustable control arms, possibly even drop brackets (RCX makes those too).

Are you running the stock track bar now?

The 97+ transfer case, when combined with the C8.25, make for some nasty vibrations once you start lifting. If you're gonna be up around 5", the TC drop will lose its effect. I'd look at doing a SYE. If you have an auto tranny (AW4) then you can use a front driveshaft from an 89-01 XJ w/ AW4 for your new rear CV driveshaft.

YJ brake lines are about 3" longer, and a bolt-in swap - much cheaper than going with stainless steel lines.

Any more questions, post up! Its awesome to see "a chick who likes to wheel" :D

Millissa01 said:
I forgot the brake lines will need to be lenghtened, I did read that on my search. Should I go with adjustable control arms or fixed units?

Adjustable will let you get your caster/pinion angle correct up front. Unless you swapped your front axle already, you have a Low Pinion D30 up front. Pinion angle is a little more important to you :) Anything over 4" of lift, you want to look at adjustable CAs and/or drop brackets.

Instead of the 2" spacer up front, look at getting an ACOS - JKS makes them. lets you adjust your front from about 1.25" to 3". Great if you have a heavy front bumper (and I think Nates weighs about 75 pounds!)

Hi Millissa01, I also am a chick who likes to wheel! I have the Old Man Emu 3" with full packs and I added about 2" as well. I used the spacers up front, the OME full AAL and JKS 1" lift shackle which brought me a hair shy of 5". At the same time we added JKS adj. control arms & OME long travel shocks. I already had longer front/rear brake lines, t'case drop and the RE 1600 track bar. Since for some reason my stock bump stops had been cut, we got some exhaust tubing welded on to the stub, and popped the polyurethane extended bumpstop in there. I think I have too much though ... gonna fix that. In the rear I used a rectangular metal extender and the poly extended bumpstop. I think it's about 6" in the rear, tires tuck nicely and axle doesn't touch the poly at full flex. Heavily trimmed fenders & TJ front flares (no Whackers for me!) complete the setup for 32's.

finished.jpg

Thanks for the responses, my husband is on the lap top on another forum (oops, am i suppose to mention that?) checking on the same issues. He is excited about cutting into MY truck! We will discuss the control arms, bump stops and drop brackets. Stock front axle and can't afford the ACOS!

Your spacers will do fine, especially if you still have the stock coil isolator, at least that has been my experience. ACO$ is an option I'd like to have, but I can't talk myself into it ju$t yet. Need a rear locker fir$$t!

If its Pirate or JU, then its his loss :) NAXJA rules!

x2 on MMXJ - keep your stock rubber isolater on the bottom of your 2" spacer. Gives you that extra 3/4 of an inch....which is ALWAYS important :D

JNickel101 said:
If its Pirate or JU, then its his loss :) NAXJA rules!

x2 on MMXJ - keep your stock rubber isolater on the bottom of your 2" spacer. Gives you that extra 3/4 of an inch....which is ALWAYS important :D

IS that to prevent squeeking also?

i added a budget boost(boomerange shackle and coil spacer) to my existing 3" spring pack and 3" coils. i have RE adj. upper and lower control arms along with an adjustable trackbar. i had to extend the brake lines, end links, and bumpstops. i also got new shocks for a 4.5" lift

as for the coil insolator, i took mine out and run just the spring and spacer. i dont get any squeeking from the coil and poly spacer combo, but i dont have the added weight of the bumper.

at 4.5". the control arm angle is a bit too steep. if you dont want the expense of getting new control arms, you should be able to get away with drop brackets and use your stock arms.

89xj said:
i added a budget boost(boomerange shackle and coil spacer) to my existing 3" spring pack and 3" coils. i have RE adj. upper and lower control arms along with an adjustable trackbar. i had to extend the brake lines, end links, and bumpstops. i also got new shocks for a 4.5" lift

as for the coil insolator, i took mine out and run just the spring and spacer. i dont get any squeeking from the coil and poly spacer combo, but i dont have the added weight of the bumper.

at 4.5". the control arm angle is a bit too steep. if you dont want the expense of getting new control arms, you should be able to get away with drop brackets and use your stock arms.

Thanks 89xj: the drop brackets and track bar, got any ideas on who we should get those from. I would like to save a little $, and we can always buy the adj control arms later and use them with the drop brackets? Right

Millissa01 said:
IS that to prevent squeeking also?
Unfortunately when mine was done, my friend removed the stock isolator. I don't have squeeking, but being rubber it does help dampen road vibes that transmit up to your steering I am told. Not a big deal to me. I just bought a stock pair that I plan to put back when I add a winch or bumper for that all important 3/4 inch!

Hey, I think we now deserve pics of the victim XJ ... :D

sorry, camera is on the fritz. I never down loaded the pics from the camera and now it won't sync! As soon as we get a new camera or get the old one fixed I'll get the pics posted!

PHOTOS of lift, tires, bumper, roof rack and lights, etc......

My husband took the week off thru Memorial Day to lift and modify my XJ. Well it's only been 2 days since he started and the progress is awsome. Below is a list of the "parts" for my XJ.

RC 3" Coils, RC 3" Leaf packs, RC Swaybar Disc, RC 4.5" upgraded RS9000 shocks, RC Control arm Drop brackets (thanx GRIMUS99XJ), RE HD Track bar and HD Bracket, BDS adjustable LCAs (craigslist!), 2" Teraflex spacers and shackles, extended rear axle snubber w/ custom 2" drop brackets, 3" extended front bumpstops, Rusty's 1" drop crossmember (mine was bent), Rear Sway bar extended links (craigslist!), 33x12.5-15 MTRs (craigslist!) on black AWC 15x10s (craigslist!), Nates front bumper, Yakima rack with extension (craigslist!) ALL this got me 5.25" of lift and no vibes (no SYE)!.......that's all for today. Fender trimming and Bushwackers tomorrow!
BEFORE - just bumper added:
2008_04280009.jpg

After:
2008_05200006.jpg

Back