• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Popping Thread

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but I couldn't find a post with my problem. I just bought a XJ with a 4.5 RE Lift and today was the first time I had it in 4WD. I noticed a popping noise coming from the driver side wheel or axle. It's definitely coming from the driver side. It also only happens when going up a hill. Any ideas?

I second the trackbar... tighten not only the frame side, but the axle side as well.

Sounds like a stretched chain in the t-case if it only happens in 4wd and under a heavier load (uphill). That might be your issue.

FlaXJ said:
Sounds like a stretched chain in the t-case if it only happens in 4wd and under a heavier load (uphill). That might be your issue.

It could be, but it should make no diffrence if it is in 2 or 4wd. The chain moves anytime the vehicle does. Check the fluid in the t-case for metal.

....if it only does it in 4wd it should have to be somewhere in the front axle. When my t-case chain started to go bad, it would only pop on hard left turns.

Well, if it is the front axle I think it would make a horrible sound all the time wouldnt it? Since the axle is always turning and only under true power in 4wd I think you would notice some pretty horrific sounds. I dont think making hard left turns in part time was a very good thing for the t-case, wheel hop and such. unless you meant offroad.

If you have the 242, the chain doesnt turn in 2wd just when it engages in 4wd, only in the 231 does it turn in both modes, unless I'm really mixing things up, but I'm pretty sure thats the case. So if you have a 242, chain could be the issue.

Anyways good luck diagnosing the problem, hopefully its something simple like Jess said, maybe just fluid or something.

Last edited:
Maybe the front drive shaft?

xtimmax said:
Maybe the front drive shaft?
Double cardin dry/binding? I went to a greasable unit.

control arm bushings? my C/A's clunk under power on bumpy climbs, especially in 4wd... and when I take off quickly... at least that's what I think it is...

FlaXJ said:
Well, if it is the front axle I think it would make a horrible sound all the time wouldnt it? Since the axle is always turning and only under true power in 4wd I think you would notice some pretty horrific sounds. I dont think making hard left turns in part time was a very good thing for the t-case, wheel hop and such. unless you meant offroad.

If you have the 242, the chain doesnt turn in 2wd just when it engages in 4wd, only in the 231 does it turn in both modes, unless I'm really mixing things up, but I'm pretty sure thats the case. So if you have a 242, chain could be the issue.

Anyways good luck diagnosing the problem, hopefully its something simple like Jess said, maybe just fluid or something.

I have a 231. I'm going to start simple, make sure everything is tight then work my way up. I also noticed some fluid leaking right next to the driver's side wheel. Possibly axle seal? It's also te same side that was popping. They might be related.

the leak is probably the seal... I just swapped axles so I didn't have to mess with them... and because it was practically free...

kdailey4315 said:
I have a 231. I'm going to start simple, make sure everything is tight then work my way up. I also noticed some fluid leaking right next to the driver's side wheel. Possibly axle seal? It's also te same side that was popping. They might be related.

Have you checked to make sure everything is tight yet?

Everything is tight. I also changed the t case fluid. There was no metal in it at all. I took out again and it was popping again going up hill only. What should I check next

kdailey4315 said:
Everything is tight. I also changed the t case fluid. There was no metal in it at all. I took out again and it was popping again going up hill only. What should I check next

What year is it? If it has the disco front axle, it is possibly the shift motor.

I slid the shift collar and fork over to keep it locked in. I then filled the vacuum connector with silicon and plugged it back in. It popped fairly often under a heavy load. Well, what I did wasn't enough. I finally used a hose clamp to keep the fork from sliding over and haven't had any problems since.

Tommy4949 said:
It doesn't have a disco front axle unless it has been swapped. Sounds like it is probaby the chain. Did you say wether it happens in 4wd and 2wd or just 4wd?

it only does it in 4WD going uphill. I sware I can feel it popping in the wheel. I could be wrong. How do check if my chain is bad?

kdailey4315 said:
it only does it in 4WD going uphill. I sware I can feel it popping in the wheel. I could be wrong. How do check if my chain is bad?

Pull the back cover off the transfer case. If the chain has a bunch of slack, it is stretched and should be replaced. Search on here or google to find out how to swap the chain. It can be done without taking the transfer case out of the jeep.

I would ensure all the easier stuff is good first though, ie. u-joints, tie rods and ball joints.

Back