• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting old rims.

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled off some old rusted rims off a RamCharger being sent to the crusher today. They had 31" Mt's and looked like a diamonds in the rough. Now the only issue is painting them black! I just wanted to know the best route to take. Considering these are freebies and will be roaded with. I don't plan on using anything but spray paint. I have grinders sanders and anything else needed for the rust part. What do you have in mind to make these old "wagon wheels" look a little restored. :roll:

You need to remove the oxidation and the pitting. A sand blaster will be best with a real coarse grit like sand box sand. A finish is only as smooth as the surface its over. Also you should use a metal conversion coating or an etch primer under your initial primer then do your base coat.

keep em rustic, looks badass.... lol j/k when i did my cragers, they were chrome AKA GAY, i sanded them real good and just used black spray and a clear coat... it looked alright... didnt hold up for shit offroad, scratched alot
sorry for the bad pics, gives u an idea
DSC02388.jpg

DSC02396.jpg

Hmm I don't really have anywhere to blast. I don't have a box or anything and I would just be blowing sand all over the driveway/garage. They arn't in horrible condition but they do need some sanding.

Holy shit I have those same rims on my jeep right now...
Lol I just noticed you have a 5.0 GT CHIEF Sport Cherokee.
Just what im looking for actually because they will never be in any kind of auto show. TY

Last edited:
Well hand sand or grind them smooth just remove all the "cancer" so it doesnt come back through.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Holy shit I have those same rims on my jeep right now...
Lol I just noticed you have a 5.0 GT CHIEF Sport Cherokee.
Just what im looking for actually because they will never be in any kind of auto show. TY

yeah the chief cherokee, 5.0 was badass, there was NOS writen on there in sharpie also, made it look fast and the rebel flag plate was badass, yeah i recomend doing the black with the clear coat for a dd any day, it will hold up
DSC02390.jpg

well im off to get more drunk then i already am, see u guys lataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
Back