• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evolution of Barney

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
So...I started off buying a 1998 Purple XJ.

I had to fix various things and I still have many things to fix...
First week I bought it it blew up on 91fwy. Freeze plug blew out.
Then I got that fixed but the AC wasn't working, so I had to pay to get it fixed...turns out there was a leak in the system. Now the AC blows colder than ever. Driver's side window regulator had to be replaced as well as sunroof looked at.
After couple months the brakes needed replacing which is a standard maintance anyway so that's that. I decided that as comfortable as I am with my sexuality I had a problem driving a purple car so I paid $300 to get it painted :-D
Then few months ago I go out to my car to go to work I see green fluid all over the place. Radiator finally blew up, got it replaced then flushed out my radiator. Then couple days ago all four of my tires were slashed.

As of now, my XJ possibly needs new lower control arm/upper maybe and new shocks. Also the fuel sending unit needs to be replaced.

All this in 5months. I like my XJ but I'm starting to think that I may need to focus on economy seeing how I am just a student/ minimum wage worker. My dilema is...

Sell the Jeep and use the money for downpayment on a Honda Civic or RSX

or

Keep the Jeep and buy an R6.

Bike would save me quite a bit of money on gas but it is also dangerous to ride in SoCal. I have some thinking to do, my XJ is looking better than ever with the free tires I got from chuck and the steelies I had sitting in my storage. :eyes:

I went from this

IMG_5833.jpg

to this :(

IMG_6035.jpg

To this :guitar:

IMG_6054.jpg

IMG_6053.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

keep it!!! what makes you think you need new control arms? are they bent or are the bushings just worn? the fuel sending unit i guess is a big deal if you want to know how much gas is left :D

very clean jeep .. n i love that lil roof rack

It'll probably put me in debt, but.....I'll double your last bid, $12!

;)
Clean Jeep, I'll trade you for mine, but I'm keepin the suspension and skid plate from mine...:D

I THINK I need new control arms because the axle is cocked...it wobbles very bad on bumps. Ball joints seem to be good, track bar is tight so yeah im not sure.

New car may save money because
1. Build credit
2. Gas efficient

but Im leaning more towards picking up a motorcycle that way I still build credit.

:-D

***RESERVE NOT MET***

where did you get it painted for $300?

blackhawk411 said:
I THINK I need new control arms because the axle is cocked...it wobbles very bad on bumps. Ball joints seem to be good, track bar is tight so yeah im not sure.

New car may save money because
1. Build credit
2. Gas efficient

but Im leaning more towards picking up a motorcycle that way I still build credit.

:-D

***RESERVE NOT MET***

Just some of what poped into my head when reading this thread

how off is it? there are some ways to adjust it from the factory just not a whole lot.
are the bushings good?
anything bent on the axle?
hows your steering stabilizer? seems a stupid little thing but in some cases it causes a few issues.
are your front shocks in good condition and mounted tight?

Gerr said:
Just some of what poped into my head when reading this thread

how off is it? there are some ways to adjust it from the factory just not a whole lot.
are the bushings good?
anything bent on the axle?
hows your steering stabilizer? seems a stupid little thing but in some cases it causes a few issues.
are your front shocks in good condition and mounted tight?

I know shocks are bad and the steering stablizer bad, dont know about the rest though.

Black on black.....nice
keep it!
buy the bike, wear a helmet.
$100

Back