• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drawtite front receiver install

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
Those of you who have installed a Drawtite front receiver, what did you do about the 2 lips above the plate (circuled in the pic). Did you cut them, hammer them flat, or installed the front receiver right over them as they are. How about the bolt on the other bracket? Did you take it out?

Thanks for sharing any experience with this install. I might be installing this tomorrow and could use some tips.

Finally, do total of 4 bolts give enough strenght for a front tow point? The open back holes on the brackets are useless for pull strenght.

[FONT=&quot]
2rhwf0o.jpg

[/FONT]

I installed the same hitch on my 98 xj I also wonder how strong a mount system it really is.

Maz said:
Those of you who have installed a Drawtite front receiver, what did you do about the 2 lips above the plate (circuled in the pic). Did you cut them, hammer them flat, or installed the front receiver right over them as they are. How about the bolt on the other bracket? Did you take it out?

Thanks for sharing any experience with this install. I might be installing this tomorrow and could use some tips.

Finally, do total of 4 bolts give enough strenght for a front tow point? The open back holes on the brackets are useless for pull strenght.

[FONT=&quot]
2rhwf0o.jpg

[/FONT]

I either ground them flat or pounded then down.Reread your instructions there are 6 bolts that hold on the hitch.2 that you have to drill in the frame rail.After removing the bumper.

The rear class III hitch is only mounted with 6 bolts,I believe it will be strong enough.

Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Reread your instructions there are 6 bolts that hold on the hitch.2 that you have to drill in the frame rail.After removing the bumper.

There are 6 bolts total, but a pair of them in the back are not complete holes. I can see that they are used for keeping the front receiver aligned, or what not. But when the reciever is used for pulling, they can't have any holding abilities. Therefore, I am still seeing a total of 4 bolts. So my question is still the same. From all my readings, 4 bolts are marginal. If I had the tools, I would look for a pair of spots to add 2 more bolts to the system. I just don't think I can drill through that sucker with a hand drill.

23l0dix.jpg

Ok,I.ll spot you on the 4 complete bolt holes,But you only have 1, -5/8- pin that holds everything in the reciever together.

I have had No issues with mine,other than rust.

Wayne

You indicated above "after removing the bumper" I don't recall having to remove the bumper to install this. Took a little patience to get the front bolts in but it was not that bad. I think the entire process was 45 minutes.

Wayne Sihler said:
........But you only have 1, -5/8- pin that holds everything in the reciever together.
Wayne

A very good point well taken. I didn't think about that. I'll go ahead with the install.

Maz said:
There are 6 bolts total, but a pair of them in the back are not complete holes. I can see that they are used for keeping the front receiver aligned, or what not. But when the reciever is used for pulling, they can't have any holding abilities. Therefore, I am still seeing a total of 4 bolts. So my question is still the same. From all my readings, 4 bolts are marginal. If I had the tools, I would look for a pair of spots to add 2 more bolts to the system. I just don't think I can drill through that sucker with a hand drill.

23l0dix.jpg

I have mine on now for several years but if I remember corectly, my hitch seem turn turn other way;... ie, the slotted holes are at the front of the hitch. I had to drill a hole in each frame rail to accomodate the 1/2" bolts that were supplied with the hitch. The two 3/8" hole in the back shared the bolts that held the anti-sway bar in place. That make a total of 6 bolts that secures the hitch to the XJ. In the picture, is appears the slotted holes are at the back of the hitch. :dunno:

Could you fill in the slots by welding them? I would not like just 2 holes holding the hitch on a hard pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler
........But you only have 1, -5/8- pin that holds everything in the reciever together.
Wayne

Maz said:
A very good point well taken. I didn't think about that. I'll go ahead with the install.

Wait wait, I said that when I was half asleep. My point isn’t about the strength of the 4 bolts, but about attachment points to the ‘frame.’ My concern isn’t about the bolts breaking but the bolts tearing through the unibody. I hope that made sense.

Maz said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler
Wayne

Wait wait, I said that when I was half asleep. My point isn’t about the strength of the 4 bolts, but about attachment points to the ‘frame.’ My concern isn’t about the bolts breaking but the bolts tearing through the unibody. I hope that made sense.

Ever see a frame straightened or a unibody pulled ? The brackets are bolted on or they clamp to the metal and pull.The properly tightened and sized bolts will not tear thru.
Install the hitch properly and use it without any worries.

Wayne

The slots on my own were at the front as well, which makes me wonder what the heck is up with yours?? Ive used my own front towpoint to not only mount a winch, but also to pull friends from the muck, pull "Dead" Vehicles out of tight spaces, and also have pulled crap off of trails with it (downed trees, coupla big rocks, ect.) Hadnt had a problem so far. its a VERY stout mount.

I have a stock hitch in rear and home made in the front. Only used the 4 bolts up front and it looks lighter then yours. Pulled the hell out of both over a few years No problems. Go for it with 4.

I just installed one on my Jeep 2 weeks ago, and my slots were in the back (last bolt for the sway bar), just like your picture - maybe they have changed the design. When I first looked at the receiver hitch and the frame, I thought all the holes lined up, but when I went to bolt it on, the front two holes did not, and I had to drill the frame and use the bolt insert (not a bid deal, but I did think I was just bolting it on).

As for your original question, I simply bolted the receiver on and started to crank it down, then I used as sawzall and scored that metal lip to allow it to bend flat as I cranked the receiver tight to the frame.

Mine front hitch is made like the one in the pics guess I'll have to get her stuck in the mud an give er a good tug.:flame:

techno1154 said:
Could you fill in the slots by welding them? I would not like just 2 holes holding the hitch on a hard pull.

For the rear 2 slot type mounting holes I just put a washer on the bolt and torqued it down. It really snugs up the rear of the hitch. -B

Back