• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 pinion torque spec?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well it looks like im going to have to do my 44 myself. ive been reading a lot of articles and stuff on how to do it. im having a hard time finding how much to torque the pinion nut down to get the bearing preload right

thanks

The pinion nut torque has nothing to do with the bearing pre-load,the 44 is a "shimmed" pinion.

sounds like some more reading needs to be done :)

Do a search on this site for "D44 Pictorial Rebuild" and you'll have some more reading material.

wishihad1 said:
hey everybody

well it looks like im going to have to do my 44 myself. ive been reading a lot of articles and stuff on how to do it. im having a hard time finding how much to torque the pinion nut down to get the bearing preload right

thanks

Here are some torque values that you will need.
Assembly Specifications:
* Cover Bolt Ft. Lbs. 30-40
* Pinion Brg. Preload In. Lbs 20-40
* Pinion Nut Ft. Lbs. 200-220
* Ring Gear Backlash .005-.008
* Ring Gear Bolt to case Ft. Lbs. 45-60
* Side Brg. Caps Ft. Lbs. 70-90
Start tightening the pinion nut towards 200 Ft. Lbs. and check the rotation torque, If the preload starts tightening up too early or too late, compared to the nut torque, adjust the shims.

For some not so obvious reasons...
1-Follow your gear vendor/manufactures specs(numbers vary alot)
2-If you have a old(but good) pinion nut,use it to set up your pinion depth and pre-load(if not make sure your buy 2)
3-Allways use a new nut and Loctite upon final assembly

Back