• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lifting my XJ 2 more inches

bigdaddyevil

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a rustys off road 4.5 suspension lift on my jeep i want to raise it 2 more in so it will be 6.5 i bought new sway bar 6in i bought a slip yoke for the transfer case and im putting spacer in the frount coils and buying 6.5 leaf springs from rustys my qestion is do you think i have to replace the shocks too and do i have to replace the trac bar remeber i have the 4.5 from rustys on it now. and if any one can tell me anyrthing else im missing to do that would be great thanks ray

I hope that you got a new DS to go with your SYE (if that is what you ment in your post) and I would encourage new shocks so that your 4.5" lift shocks dont act as limiting straps and pull out or apart. I am not sure if Rusty's TB is good for 6.5" or not, maybe someone else with knowledge of Rusty's stuf will chime in on this. what about extended brake lines???? do you have adjustable control arms? If not your gonna have some f'd-up pinion angles and other items as well. There really is more to going on up to 6.5" or bigger then just the pucks and springs. You have a good start with your purchased items, but your gonna probably need a bit more. It is a viscious cycle...trust me, I know! :D

yes to shocks, you will rip them off
no to trac bar, but you may need a new bracket to line it back up
I would consider a sye

The only thing that you are really missing is punctuation

Yes you will want to changed shocks. Rusty's trackbar sucks. If you are still on short arms which is likely at least add RC or RE drop brackets to help with control arm angles. I would also go with a smaller leaf in the back and add an aftermarket shackle. It will flex a ittle better due to a flatter pack and more leverage from the shackle. Are your brakelines extended or long enough? also why do you need that much lift? Are you gonna run 35's or 37's? If you are then be prepared to either just drive it on the street or break it on the trail. I'm sure more people will chime in with other stuff that I'm missing right now

Why did you get a new sway bar? do you mean new disconnects?

if you still have stock steering, your drag link angle is gonna suck.

you never said what tires you're gonna run...?

Don't get 6.5 inch springs. Go get a 2 inch shackle to go with your 4.5 inch leafs. A heavily arched leaf like the 6.5 inch ones won't flex well with the short stock shackle.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
Don't get 6.5 inch springs. Go get a 2 inch shackle to go with your 4.5 inch leafs. A heavily arched leaf like the 6.5 inch ones won't flex well with the short stock shackle.

-Alex

Better yet 1.5" UBE and 4.5" springs, it is what I did, then later if want a little more can easily add a shackle.

My 4.5 inch springs didn't flex that much until I added a 2 inch shackle, of course my bumper 150lb bumper had sagged those springs down about an inch and a half...

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
My 4.5 inch springs didn't flex that much until I added a 2 inch shackle, of course my bumper 150lb bumper had sagged those springs down about an inch and a half...

-Alex

Also with the more arch springs have the less they flex. Which is way shackles are nice. But this also a benefit to the UBE having a bigger flatter surface to help combat spring wrap and allowing the spring to flex out fuller. and UBE are a nice upgrade if you wanted to redo your pinion angle and all that, but not sure how much time you want to put in to it. If just trying to do it in a day or something than new springs or shackles would be the right trick for you.

Back