• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding rear D44

RatLabGuy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.
I recently came into ownership of an '89 XJ. Bless my fortune, it has the Dana 44 rear.
I'd like to weld the rear spider gears. What is the easiest way to do this? How much work is involved in removing the carrier? Is it worth it?
I come form a background with 'yotas, a bit of a diferent animal.
I've dug around but no luck - is there a good writeup on all the steps involved (if pulling thre carrier)?

you can get a mini spool for it from summit for $99 the full spool is $225 with the mini spool you don't have to pull the carrier. you can weld it but if the welds break you probably have to replace gears, carrier and everything else

Hm, $100 isn't a bad deal... however I only paid $30 for the Jeep (long story), have very little in it, and don't plan to have it for more than a few months, so it's hard to justify the cost.... but I'll look into that anyway.
What's involved in adding teh spool? Does it just pop it?

if you cant figure out how to weld spider gears, id just buy a mini spool and throw it in there. it will probably end up being stronger, and easier to install. wont even have to pull the carrier

Back