• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ripped out front shock mountings

mr_W

NAXJA Forum User
Did this happen because of too much flexing, or cause if was rusty and rotten?

pict7196small.jpg

Is there some common knowledge about reinforcing these, or modifying to some sort of BPE's ?

They were advertised as 4.5" lift ProComp es3000 shocks. I can't remember the number now, but I can check when I get home. And I have around 4.5" of lift. However, my coils are really long and very soft, giving me maybe 3" of lift, but can extend to some amazing length. I also have stock control arms. Anyway, I don't think there was too much of flex as I didn't yet install my extended brake lines, and stock ones were just fine.

Can this happen just from normal driving with soft coils and these shocks?

That sounds possible. If the shocks were doing most of the work (i.e. soft coils) then some good hard bumps could certainly rip them off if the shocks were stiff enough.

by looking at the metal were it broke, it looks like its been cracked for a while. dirty and rusty. im betting there is just a small portion of it thats clean, where it finally broke off. a stiff shock will continue to fracture the metal untill it lets loose on you. hense the need to do a good run through before any long and difficult excursions. your problem may have been a long time of maxing out the shocks and ripping it a little at a time.

I did the same thing to mine. I blamed it on poor design and the fact that my Jeep wasn't built to fly through the air like I wanted lol :p

2stix
you are right about that small clean portion. So I was thinking about larger chunk of metal welded to the axle, but in such way that I can get rid of bar pin, and just use hi grade bolt instead.

Back