• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount the CB?

My radio has a detachable face, so this isn't an apples to apples suggestion, but it may still work for you.

I mounted the "bulk" of my radio on the rear of the center console. It keeps it high in case of water, and it still accessible from the driver's seat.

706_install.jpg

706_install3.jpg

i just mounted mine between the 2 visors and either leave the mic/cord unpluged until i use it or just sprall it across one of the visors. It stays put and is out of the way. Plus the speaker on the box faces down directly at me for better hearing :D

hot_rod_hooligans said:
I thought about that, but does it interfere with the passenger seat moving back/forth?

I don't have the setup yet but I assume that if you stuff it as far forward as you can it wouldn't be a problem.

Mainer said:
When I get mine I am going to put it to the right side of the shifter as shown.

http://www.ericsxj.com/images/cb02.jpg

cb02.jpg

If your radio is this small, I'd mount it overhead near the mirror. I had one mounted up high years ago and it worked out great.

I mounted mine under the glove box. It's out of the way, within easy reach and doesn't interfere with passenger legroom or movement of the seat.

28.jpg

Gunner73 said:
I mounted mine under the glove box. It's out of the way, within easy reach and doesn't interfere with passenger legroom or movement of the seat.

28.jpg

Not to hijack BUT where did you get that cupholder?

I read some where, maybe here, of a guy that put a small piece of plywood between the headliner and the roof of the XJ. He then screwed the CB bracket into the plywood. I would recommend a ground wire, but other than that it should work pretty nice. That would also mean you could move it around, so it wouldn't have to be so close to the mirror.

Make your own mounting bracket that uses the sunvisor screw.

mcnamaag said:
Not to hijack BUT where did you get that cupholder?

i had the same cupholder, it came stock in my 96. they suck though. they like to fall off a lot. but a little better than the one that goes over the ebrake.

Here's how I did mine in my 90 MJ. Don't think it'll work quite the same in 97+ interior.

--Tom

CB%20Mount.JPG

Here is how I did mine in my 89. I got the visors out of a newer XJ. The stock 89 ones were to long and were in the way.
cb2-19-2008005.jpg

Does anybody have a good layout template for the roof mount between the visors. I have a sheet of carbon fiber I think I am going to use.

Back