• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 Tcase problems

nmdave7

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm new to the site and need some help. I recently picked up a 97 XJ. I put a lift and SYE right after I purchsed. At the time I had the SYE installed I had the chain and bearingd replaced as well. Now anytime in 4 lo coasting downhill it will pop out of gear. It only happens in 4 lo and only when going downhill in low gear(AW4 auto). I took it back to the shop that installed the SYE and after 2 weeks in the shop it still has the problem. Any Ideas? Is there anywhere to get a really good assembly diagram? Any help is appreciated.Thanks. :doh:

Did they say anything about adjusting the shift linkage on the TC?

I'd avoid that shop in the future....

I tested it out by putting it in 4 low and disconnecting the linkage from the tcase and still had the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's not the linkage. Any other thoughts?

nmdave7 said:
I tested it out by putting it in 4 low and disconnecting the linkage from the tcase and still had the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's not the linkage. Any other thoughts?

OK, the shaft that the shift fork rides on is probably bottoming out against the "cap" just below the speedo sensor. On some SYE's you have to trim that shaft a small amount. I think the case will have to be split again though as there is no way to get to the shaft to trim it down once installed. Thats one of those things that need to be test fitted before closing it up.

The only other possibility is that the shifter fork is bent but thats unlikley.

The shop I had install the SYE supposedly put in a new fork when they took it appart the second time so I don't think it's a fork. Looks like I'll be pulling the Tcase AGAIN!

OK, just did some checking, the case will not have to be split, you will only need to pull the tail housing to modify the shift fork shaft(if thats what is the issue). The shaft goes through the rear case half and stops under the knob looking thing just below the speedo sensor. If the shaft is too long it will bottom out against the inside of that "boss" or "knob" in 4 low.

Some SYE's like the P.O.R.C. have a cap there while others like my Advance Adaptors do not. It depends on the year of the Jeep as well. The older XJ's(87-90) that have the vacuum disconnect front axle have a vacuum switch that threads into the end of the housing, while the later models either get the cap or are cast solid.

Hope that helps

I took off the tailshaft housing and the shaft sticks out about 3/4 inch in low gear. The depth of the hole in the tail shaft is 1 1/4, so I don't think it is the shaft. Could something been assembled incorrectly either on the input shaft, or the shaft with the forks on it? With the linkage disconnected it appears that the shift pattern is about 1/4 inch off where it wants to rest on the selector.?????:flamemad:

nmdave7 said:
I took off the tailshaft housing and the shaft sticks out about 3/4 inch in low gear. The depth of the hole in the tail shaft is 1 1/4, so I don't think it is the shaft. Could something been assembled incorrectly either on the input shaft, or the shaft with the forks on it? With the linkage disconnected it appears that the shift pattern is about 1/4 inch off where it wants to rest on the selector.?????:flamemad:

Did you switch cases? The 242 has a different shift pattern and the link from the shifter to the case is longer but the leaver at the case is shorter.

The 231 has a shorter link but a longer leaver at the case.

I don't think there is any way to have gotten the "mode ring" on backwards but that would not allow it to engage all the way as well.

It engages, but slips out if coasting with no load or under engine braking. I looked at some diagrams, what if the input gear pilot bushing were damaged or missing? Whould that cause this knid of symptom?

Try disengaging the linkage for the t-case and manually shift the t-case into 4-lo. If it pops out then it's the transfer case but if not it's the linkage.

We'll I took out the Tcase and the shop that did the rebuild forgot to put the snap ring that goes on input shaft behind the input seal back in. Works now, amasing ahow a $2 snap ring can mess up your day!:doh:

glad you were able to fix it - and glad it didnt f' up your t-case!

Back