• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk yard gears

paxj92

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been looking around my local you pull it for a set of lower gears out of an older 4cyl xj. Can anyone tell me how to tell the ratio without pulling the diff cover and counting teeth?

The 4 bangers should have 4.10's I'm picking up a set tomorow from my local yard. You can check stamped steel tag that is held in by two of the diff cover bolts, one of the numbers is the ratio.

~Alex

spin the driveshaft. If you get 4 (.10) spins of the driveshaft and 1 spin of the tire you have 4.10 gears. or look at the diff cover tag most should still have them on there.

alex22 said:
The 4 bangers should have 4.10's I'm picking up a set tomorow from my local yard. You can check stamped steel tag that is held in by two of the diff cover bolts, one of the numbers is the ratio.

~Alex

Not entirely true. You might get lucky and find a rare 4.56 seat, or perhaps a 3.73 set. Best to check the tag. Personally, I'd pull the cover to check the gears and then grab the entire axle. It's much easier to swap the whole axle than to try and setup used gears. Plus you get a set of axles shafts for spares or putting on eBay.

or a 3.55 set

general rule of thumb...4 cylinder 2.5 and auto, will be 4.10 or 4.56

4 cylinder 4 speed is 3.55 to 3.73
4 cylinder 5 speed is 4.10, maybe 3.73

but. i just stripped a 94 2.5 4 cylinder that ended up having 3.55 gears :)()

so, just take off the diff cover. they're supposed to drain fluids when they come in anyways, so it's not your problem if it leaks on the ground.

Every other 4 cyl XJ (including mine) that I've ever seen has 3.73's. I think I've only seen one or two with 4.10's. It is true that the 2.5L/auto combo will have 4.56's stock.

Also, a 2.8L/auto/242 will have 4.10's. Thats what mine came from.

it is not possible to have an np242 behind a 2.8

i believe you are thinking of an np229 or np228. if not, that jeep wasn't stock.

4.10's on a 2.8 is rare. 4.10's on a 2.5 is actually very common. just, most of them are still on the road today...the 2.5 is a reliable little motor.

85xj4dr said:
It is true that the 2.5L/auto combo will have 4.56's stock.

2.5L with an AW4.

I also know of a 2.8/ 4 speed with 3.31's. Fuel Economy package or something like that. JIM.

I just found out that my 2.8 w/ 207 TC came stock with 4.10 gears if thats any help.

Guys,
what about setting up used gears from jy instead of dropping in entire axle? I know that axle is just bolt-on, and setting up used gears can be PITA.. Now what are your opinions on that subject?

4 cyl 4spd = 3.55s
4 cyl 5spd = 4.10s
4cyl AW4 = 4.56s
2.8 4spd (or 5spd cant remember) = 3.73s

This is from first hand experience at a junkyard popping every cover, not just looking at the tag or guessing. I probably looked at about a dozen XJs.

I wouldn't set up gears, unless i bought them new, and knew how to set them up.

i'm regearing my comanche to 4.10's...which to me, means putting in new axles (which i have now :D)

as for 2.8 4 speed...that's 3.55's. 2.8 5 speed is 3.73

you guys have to remember that all of this is a generalization. AMC wasn't very strict on any of this (nor when they changed to chrysler), so you could pretty much get what you want.

Back