• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board air question

99NCXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I want to add onboard air to my 99xj. I have heard there is a kit that lets you use a second a/c compressor so you don't have to loose your ac. (one for a/c and the other for oba. anyone know about this?

I have been wanting to do the same thing. I looked at the viair oba system? have you looked at that.

www.kilbyenterprises.com

Their entire setup is kinda pricey. I bought their bracket and pulley, but pieced everything else together myself. The Kilby site is a great source of information.

It's a lot of work. You have to:

Relocate the battery to the other side
Do something with the air intake, since the battery is now in that spot
Space the fan out 1/4" so it won't hit the York pulley
Depending on the year, modify the condensor lines

It took me a year to slowly put it all together. But it was well worth the time and effort.

Why not just use an electric compressor? I am in to car stereo and wanted to have a welder onboard, so I already had two batteries and heavy gauge wire to the rear, so I guess it was just easy for me...

Electric compressors are slooow. With my York, I can air up all four tires in the time it takes my buddy to do one with his Viair. Plus, with my tank in the back, I can run air tools if necessary.

That is true. I have had air bagged rides with both engine and electric driven compressors. Electric is about 3 times slower (with one compressor). I just keep mine aired up all the time, once my tank is full, airing up tires is no problem...but air tools I haven't tried yet...Plus I picked up my compressor for $50 bucks from a kid with an air bagged S10 and had OBA with a sunday's work...

i have an electric compressor now but want to be able to run air tools...and not take days to air up tires. I'll check out kilbys site but wasn't planning on using a york. I've got several stock ac compressors here and was thinking about using one of them.

co2, can't beat it.

Let me re-state that, for ease of install and simplicity, co2, can't beat it

:D

Any of you guys that have done the conversion miss your a/c all that much?.....or was it worth it?

Ive wanted to do this for awhile also ... bu im not willing to re-locate my Battery, nor am i willing to sacrifice my A/C... so this is my option:

http://www.viaircorp.com/10009.html

Expensive, but would be bad ass. It may be an option for you also.

Should take at the most 3 minutes to air up a 33" tire from 15 to 30 PSI.

Ramsey said:
Let me re-state that, for ease of install and simplicity, co2, can't beat it

:D
x2 fast and easy-I air up my own tires, not everyone else on the trail. As everyone knows, it can run air tools too for trail use(read:not tearing down the engine or major overhaul, just stuff to get you on your way). I had to reseat a bead with it recently as well.

Yall are in Oregon, if I can get by without a/c here, I'd think you could.

I ditched the stock airbox, went with cone filter.
In that place I mounted a York after cutting and welding an additional pulley on front of the powersteering pulley to power the York.
Works great for me. Still retain my stock a/c.:cool:

xjrobert said:
I ditched the stock airbox, went with cone filter.
In that place I mounted a York after cutting and welding an additional pulley on front of the powersteering pulley to power the York.
Works great for me. Still retain my stock a/c.:cool:

And you didnt have to relocate the battery... sounds interesting ..

Do you have pictures?

Back