• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 AW4 Transmission Spline Count

doclouie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 AW4 transmission that needs replaced in the next few months, but I am concerned because it was built in January of 1991. Will this have a 21 or 23 spline count? Is there a way I can tell before it dies and I pull the trans out? It is my daily driver and I can have it down for a couple weeks. Oh yea and the Jeep just rolled 232,000 miles today on the original trans.

interchange year is 1990. after 1990, it is a 23 spline

interchange year was mid-way through 1990

so

it will be 23 spline.

That is what I thought until I saw the following website:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Transmission_and_Transfer_Case/Transfer_Case_ID_Project.htm

My transfer case Assy No is 5300 8209 and the Serial No 123 902.

There is a transfer case with numbers higher than both my assembly number and serial number and it has a 21 spline. That is why I am a bit nervous about just purchasing a 23 spline tranny to find that I really need a 21. I am just hoping that someone out there knows a way I can tell how many splines it is without pulling out the trans.

The trans is starting to slip a little bit so I am figuring it will be going out in the next couple months.

how about you just get under it and pull the transfercase off. it's easy enough.

if you won't believe me, then you may as well not believe anyone else here, because not very many xj owners have dealt with this issue first hand. it will be a 23 spline. if not, things are not right on that jeep.

2 hours to pull a transfercase, MAX

Thanks a lot for your help. It looks like I will be pulling the transfer case this weekend and looking for a 23 spline trans. How long did it take you to swap the trans when you did it?

swapping trans...around 4 hours by myself. i could get it done in 2.5 with help easily.

Back