• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent oil leak...

JKMXJ94

NAXJA Forum User
I have an intermittent oil leak somewhere under the hood of my XJ ( 1994 model year) I think it is engine oil , it runs down the passenger side bell housing onto the exhaust where it burns off... I can't find the leak , anyone seen this before?

Thanks , Jayme.

Another possibility on that side is the oil pressure sending unit having a slight leak.

I had the same problem on my 98. Turned out it was the oil pan gasket.

-Andrew

Thanks guys , I am going to start with the valve cover gasket , the leak is coming from up above the transmission somewhere , I put it up on the hoist one way while it was doing it's thing , and there was oil running down the bell housing from somewhere up above.

I ruled out the oil filter adapter , and sending unit , those are both dry.

Here is a tip that a mechanic once told me: If you are searching for an oil leak, the spot where it is leaking will actually look cleaner than the rest of the oily engine.

This was true for my oil filter adapter. The passenger side of the engine is covered in oil, but looking where the adapted connects to the block it has shiny metal showing but all around it is covered in oil.

I would agree to go ahead and replace the valve cover gasket. If that doesn't solve the leak, I would really consider the oil filter adapter.

97xjcrawler said:
Here is a tip that a mechanic once told me: If you are searching for an oil leak, the spot where it is leaking will actually look cleaner than the rest of the oily engine.

This was true for my oil filter adapter. The passenger side of the engine is covered in oil, but looking where the adapted connects to the block it has shiny metal showing but all around it is covered in oil.

I would agree to go ahead and replace the valve cover gasket. If that doesn't solve the leak, I would really consider the oil filter adapter.

+1, great advice.
My bet is on it being the filter adapter!

Another thought is before starting the engine unplug the oil pressure sending unit. Start the engine up. It will not show oil pressure on the gauge check the area of the plug on the oil sender. Otherwise it could be oil filter adapter, pan gasket, valve cover gasket.

Back