• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a stupid question thats needs answering.

Twisted_Dakota

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says its a stupid question. For some reason today has been a big brain fart. So... the question is: What size is the axle nut on a D30?

Thanks,
Evan.

cuz i knew it last week but couldnt remember it today. Been studying really hard and am functioning on no sleep at the moment.

Twisted_Dakota said:
cuz i knew it last week but couldnt remember it today. Been studying really hard and am functioning on no sleep at the moment.

not to sound old, but i hope you dont plan on jacking up the front of your jeep and working on it if your in this condition.

Last edited:
good point...you better have a few beers before you work on it, you know, to help wake you up :D

Chase it with a Red Bull and Vodka....

Forget the Jeep and get some rest. You can't study or work on Jeeps in your condition man. S L E E P ! ! !

90Blue_XJ: Studying is over. Had my exam last night. Just couldn't sleep last night and had to open this morning. Its no biggie though. Shit happens and just gotta deal with it.

89xj: The axle I am working on is not under the jeep. It is on jack stands in front of the jeep.

got the axle nuts off. Went a bought two electric impact wrench's. one for in the garage and the other plugs into the cigerett lighter.

Got a new problem now. I have tried a hammer and also tried a hub puller but still cant get the hubs to come off.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Twisted_Dakota said:
the axle I am working on is not under the jeep. It is on jack stands in front of the jeep.

got the axle nuts off. Went a bought two electric impact wrench's. one for in the garage and the other plugs into the cigerett lighter.

Got a new problem now. I have tried a hammer and also tried a hub puller but still cant get the hubs to come off.

Any ideas?
You removed the three bolts that hold the hub assy to the axle knuckle? Ive beat the heck out of them getting them to seperate. A big hammer and PB Blaster Good Luck.

hanaxj87 said:
You removed the three bolts that hold the hub assy to the axle knuckle? Ive beat the heck out of them getting them to seperate. A big hammer and PB Blaster Good Luck.

On the passenger side yes all three are out. On the driver's side how ever. one of the botls is just round, so I haven't been able to get it off. I am about to try and just cut it off (i think).

Plasma wrench always works Ha Ha. PB Blast it and take a nap. Try again tomorrow. It ain't going nowhere right away anyhow.

Ok that linked helped a lot. Got the hubs off and axles out. Pinion and carrier tomorrow. Now time to try and sleep.

New question: What size is the nut for the Pinion?

About the stripped bolt head, it's actually really easy to remove the whole nuckle once the brakes and axle are out of the way...Just remove the two cotter keys and castle nuts and give 'er a little love tap with the MFAT (Maximum Force Adjusting Tool). Once the knuckle is off, you can either beat on an undersized socket you are willing to sacrifice to the Jeep gods, or weld on a nut you can get an impact on (probably a 3/4 head or so)...just my 2 pennies...

*88jeepers* said:
About the stripped bolt head, it's actually really easy to remove the whole nuckle once the brakes and axle are out of the way...Just remove the two cotter keys and castle nuts and give 'er a little love tap with the MFAT (Maximum Force Adjusting Tool). Once the knuckle is off, you can either beat on an undersized socket you are willing to sacrifice to the Jeep gods, or weld on a nut you can get an impact on (probably a 3/4 head or so)...just my 2 pennies...

My roommate end up getting the rounded one loose. then in the process i broke it. but still managed to get the hub off.

Twisted_Dakota said:
My roommate end up getting the rounded one loose. then in the process i broke it. but still managed to get the hub off.

Go to bed and get some rest. You are too tired to sacrifice anymore sleep to the Jeep Gods or anyone else.

Back