• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for those who have geared 44s

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well some of you may have seen my last thread about this.....anyways heres the situation. i got a waggy 44 about a year ago, and stripped it down to a bare housing and was going to build it from there pretty much only using the housing. well i got yukon 5:13s, locker, and master install kit and have tried multiple places to try to get them installed. problem is i dont have the original pinion/carrier shims.

so has anybody set up a waggy 44 and have an measurements i should start with. it might come down to me having to buy tools and do this myself becausse nobody wants to fool with it because i dont have original parts

Just put it together and run a pattern. It's really that simple.

Use setup bearings and races. If the pinion is supposed to have an oil slinger, put that on behind the inner pinion bearing. Put the inner pinion bearing race in the housing with no shims behind it. Get the backlash right for that depth using the carrier shims, run it, and see where you need to go from there.

Three suggestions:

- NEVER run a pattern without having the backlash in spec. This is just a waste of time as you're not gonna leave it like that anyway.

- Don't bother setting pinion preload at this time, the preload shims and depth shims change with each other. Just get enough load on it to seat the bearings fully and go with that.

- Make big changes to start with...the pinion will probably be too shallow, so instead of adding .001 at a time, add .005 at least to narrow it down quicker and establish a range.

All the pinion depth tool will do is get the depth right on the first try. For a shop that needs to get jobs in and out it's a necessity. For the garage amateur it's a convenience.

Vetteboy summed it up well... just use a notepad and keep track of what you add / subtract... I'd try Starting somewhere between .035 and .055 on the pinion, low side if your running a slinger between the bearing and the head. ~Ace~

tried multiple places to try to get them installed. problem is i dont have the original pinion/carrier shims.
======================================
With the locker the original shims MAY not work/fit right anyway. Plus they are moving parts and (((I))) don't like mixing new and used moving parts in general.
You have your own parts. Many shops want you to buy through them. They make money on the parts as well as the labor.
Still any GOOD shop may charge you a few extra bucks for "walkin parts" and do the job anyway. Shims or not. Your better off not taking it to them places! As always (IMO)

A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
Work safe.

Last edited:
ok thanks everybody

i am running an oil slinger, so by saying run low side do you mean run about .0035-.0040.

also do i only need set up bearings/races for the carrier (both sides) or do i need to make a set for the pinion also

thanks

You will want to grind some from the OD on the large pinion bearing Race... so the race will slip in and out :eek:) ~Ace~

.035, not .0035 to start with.

You'll want two setup bearings on the carrier, and a setup race for the inner pinion bearing. The inner bearing itself you can press on with the oil slinger. Everything else you shouldn't need to be adjusting.

IIRC the gears come with a booklet that will give you a starting point and torque specs.
Wayne

Back