• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ Skipping/Missing

smartazz19

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 DD XJ is acting a little funny. Every so often while idling it will hiccup or miss for just a brief second. No CEL. Runs fine. Just every minute or so you can tell it skips. Any thoughts? Im thinking something electical that is confusing the computer for a brief second.

My 98 would do the occasional bog/hesitation/miss/backfire(pick one) from time to time. No codes either. Long story short, research here pointed to the O2 sensor, and that fixed it. It did have 140k on it though.

Mine does it too, so I will be watching this thread.

I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, and that seemed to help for a few months, but it is back to doing it again. I didn't reset the computer when I replaced everything, though, and I think that I should have.

Didn't mention if you replaced the plugs/wires/cap/rotor. Do so if not already done. Tuneup items always a good thing to review for stuff like this. Simple stuff first.

If it still does it after new secondary ignition tuneup and is getting worse, I suppose it is possible that your crankshaft position sensor is just starting to go and misses sending the input signal to the computer now and again.

smartazz19 said:
BTT.

Still there. Put 2 new bosch O2 sensors on it, IAC, TPS. Still does it.

I had problems with my 87 hestating sometimes while driving. Then one day i Hopped in it and got nothing when i turned the key. So i replace the starter and relay and it fixed the problem. I did notice that the ground on my starter was a lil fuggered up. Maybe your starter is doing the same thing and not totally disengaging or what not. But i havn't had any more problems with mine. The way it ran made me think TPS but that wasn't it I was looking real hard also at an O2 sensor when the starter finally went.

Sounds weird right i thought so too. I can't explain why I am not having any more problems either but it is running like a champ and I am happy

Temperature sending unit may be reading low voltage, but not low enough to trigger the Check Engine Light.

If it is just at idle I wouldn't worry very much, you should hear my CJ-7 4.2L sputter and spit at idle.

Back