• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Winch

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I have the Smittybilt XRC-8. The instructions say to respool the cable with 500 lbs of tension. I was wondering how you guys respool your winch cable? I don't live in the country where I can find a 90 ft hill with a tree to hook to. I'm looking forward to all your suggestions and experiences. TIA

i once read about a guy who did a couple cycles in a parking lot with with a slight grade hooked to a lamp post or something... be sure to bring plenty of common sense with you if you decide to do it this way.

your location says cow country, go wrangle up a few cows and winch away!!, or hook up to another vehicle(in nuetral) and pull it in, maybe even ride the brakes a little to add some force.

I pulled a 2007 3/4 ton Dodge Ram Cummins up a hill.

I could actually hear the wire stretching.

The wire spools really nice with thension on it...it looks tight and wound without overlapping.

Set your e-brake to just before the tires slide and hook to a tree with a buddy to help wind it on straight on the spool.

Struggle on.

just drag a spare tire or 2 together. is what i do . and make sure you do it after getting home from wheeling for the day to help keep the cable in good shape.

I find it interesting that the manuals never mention oiling or greasing the wire on a winch. The article on Pirate talks about it. While serving in the Navy, we greased the wire cables on every winch we had. Nasty job on the bigger winches. When we were done we would strip off all the clothing and throw it over the side.

Smittie

My cable is about 150ft. My driveway works perfect. Slight grade up hill with a large tree right at the end of it.

Any strait grade with a tree at the top or graded parking lot with an extra vehicle should work.

I end up re-spooling my cable several times per year. You will eventually find a routine.

Michael

Back