• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need your expert advice... 2 inch lift help/advise

dorsalfin

NAXJA Forum User
I am on my second XJ and this one is getting lifted. I want a 2 inch lift, to go with my 30x9.50s BFG MT's.

1.) I have been told spacer/ shackle lift is the best way to go
2.) AAL's tend to sag, shackles can be used again
3.) Anyone have pics of this type of combo?
4.) Anyone used the teraflex budget boost or teraflex products? I have heard of horror stories with Rusty's Shackles

Thanks in advance for your help.

dorsalfin said:
I am on my second XJ and this one is getting lifted. I want a 2 inch lift, to go with my 30x9.50s BFG MT's.

1.) I have been told spacer/ shackle lift is the best way to go
2.) AAL's tend to sag, shackles can be used again
3.) Anyone have pics of this type of combo?
4.) Anyone used the teraflex budget boost or teraflex products? I have heard of horror stories with Rusty's Shackles

Thanks in advance for your help.

Searching is always nice. Buuuut. Shackles are basically all the same. Just find the cheapest one you can they'll all serve their purpose. You could do 31s if you wanted. You may need to bumpstop a little bit. Search around you'll find some pics.

I did search, but did not find the results I was looking for, and yes I did the advanced function. I just wanted to see if anyone had any personal use of these. Thanks

I would go with a full length AAL (like the RE one 2.5") over a longer shackle. Spacers up front work, but rusty's makes a 2" front coil.
Then do BPEs to keep your stock shocks for a while, or get the best shocks you can afford.

You can just move the mounting points of the brake hoses to get enough length for wheeling. If it's just on road, you'll probably be fine as-is.

Here is a 2 inch lift with add-a-leafs and 2 inch spacers on 30 inch BFG A/T's. 30's stuff very nice with a 2 inch lift, 31's will fit but they rub pretty easy if you flex or hit a hole. I miss my red Jeep! I would also go with a full length add a leaf, they strengthen your leaf pack unlike a longer shackle which will put more stress on your leaf springs. Also if you wanted 2 inchs of lift you would need a shackle that was 4 inch's longer than stock which would put a ton of stress on the weak factory leafs.

DSCN1248.jpg

Picture325.jpg

ive got daystar spacers up front and theyre great. I would also go with aal if i were you. Ive heard from guys who built S10 bastard packs that they ride pretty nice. So new aals will work out fine for you. Dont forget a front end alignment. your tires will be toed in slightly after the lift is installed. :)

I put the teraflex spacers and shackle on my 1990 and liked it as a young driver.

I now have a 2001 which originally recieved the RE 2" spacer & AAL with shocks included for a real good price which I liked a lot.

I've since pulled out the front spacers and replaced them with the 2" longer springs from Rusty's.

I've got plenty of pictures I can e-mail if you'd like.

I agree that you should do the full length AAL over a shackle, I had a 2 inch lift shackle, but it started inverting my leaf packs. So, if you are sagging a bit in the back, don't do a longer shackle.

My springs are in very good shape, so I might go with a shackle and just get new leaf packs if/when they go bad. I saw an XJ with the daystar shackle lift last night, and the guy had the kit on for over 2 years, no sag, no inversion, etc.. For those who claim shackles waste leaf packs, can you show pics of this. As of right now it seems everyone hates shackles, but can't show evidence of their downside, other than "my buddy who...". I would like to know first hand. I HAVE seen a few very saggy XJ's who had an AAL and they all claim to suck after a year or so. My local shop Tennessee Off Road, said the shackles are fine, but if I wanted the best setup I need to get the Old Man Emu kit, with new spring packs, coils, etc.. but thats $700+. This is frustrating, so unless I can see some evidence I am going to go with the shackles and spacer, if my leafs go bad, oh well I can buy some new ones for $ 85 a pop.

- add. What about replacing the stock leafs (which are fine) with HD stock spring packs? Would that work?

If your willing to do new leaf packs(best idea) spend a few extra bucks on the OME CS034RA packs, they really arent that expensive. DPGoffroad is $108 a piece. I found mine on sale locally for $96 a piece. Go cheap up front with a 2" spacer and retain stock ride, then new shocks, or BPE's as suggested earlier.

Still bastard packs on an XJ is a better idea than shackles...

What I did on my DD with 30x9.50:

2" spacers in the front, stock main leafs with a set of Quadratec HD springs "bastard packed" with the eyes cut off. If you want just a bit more rake add some MJ shackles.

newpaint2uo2.jpg

I have a 97 XJ with the daystar BB (2" spacer on coils and shackles) and leaf spring "helpers" for now.....i know it isnt the best setup but for now until i get more parts gathered it works decent. looking back, i should have gone with a kit that had an add a leaf but at the time didn't have the money. but to answer your question, the spacer/shackle combo works good if your springs aren't shot, but if you have the money go with a kit that has the full length aal and shocks because it is a better deal to begin with.

dorsalfin said:
I saw an XJ with the daystar shackle lift last night, and the guy had the kit on for over 2 years, no sag, no inversion
Thats what I have.
Here is what the leafs looked like after about a year and a half........
3.jpg

took that before starting my spring swap.
Here is after the swap.......
4.jpg

more before/after pics here..........
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v455/drifto77/99 XJ/

Bastard pack is my next project when these wear out. (maybe before)

I have the spacers and shackles on mine. It did not take that much time to do the lift

Check out Rocklizardfabrication.com they have a whole DIY 2" BB made from jeep parts. ZJ coils and a main leaf added from a pair of XJ leafs. Looks pretty good and easy to do...very cost effective.

I have got energy suspension 1.75" spacers in front and Teraflex 1.5" shackels in the back and love em! I don't think all shackles are created equally either. The reason I went with the Teraflex shackles is because they are very well made(strong cross bracing in the middle) and very affordable. I say go for it! I don't have any pics but it will look just like the others.

Back