• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ya gotta love the 4.0....( and needed to vent some)

dizzymac

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I go out today to do some morrrrrrre work on the floor pans, still don't have the front one all the way out. I'm looking at all the surrounding decay and wondering if this whole thing is worth it, bottoms of the wheel wells are rotted, the inner side rails, where the rockers attach are rotted, corners where the front pan and firewall attach are rotted and so on.
I'm thinking if any glass got broke it would surely be the end of this XJ, as I stand there with a 2 1/2' pry bar in my hand and yes I did have thoughts of putting it thru the windshield, this project is not fun anymore.
I think back to the last time this thing ran, 3/8 of this year. No gas tank , so we improvise,(don't try this at home kiddies) a Windex bottle of gas, can't use gas pedal anyway, frozen soild, I think the bellcrank rusted over. We get it primed...oil wise, pull the snorkel off the air box, a few squirts, key on, contact....the SOB fires first shot, as long I keep squirting it stays running. Sounded like crap, but then again it always did when I first started it. So the trusty 4.0 that we've all come to love has saved my XJ for another day, that and the clock. Batt. has gone dead a few times over the past months and I had it out of the Jeep for at least a month, I asked my son what time he had....4:33 PM....the same as my clock...lol

I'm about ready to Dr. Its got to the point now where it's "Ill fix you or else"...lol. I could be spending this time on my '89 Its in great shape,body drivetrain wise. Just doesn't start.
I just picked this up for $200. real strong engine, had just passed state inspection one year ago,it has sat since then. Batt went dead, they put in a Wally World one, a week later it was dead. She brought it to the shop and they replaced the Alt, although the guy said he had a hard time getting it to fit...hmmm? ran OK a couple days batt dead again, said when they tried starting it smoked from "a wire harness". A mechanic told her it prob "fried" the brain, so she gave up on it, I doubt if it did.
It'll be my next project.

Back