• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

old aw4 in new XJ problem

jlh504

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and no luck. Does anyone have any info on installing an old AW4 into a new XJ. I have a 96 AW4 that is going into a 98 XJ. There are two wires missing on the old trans, is there an adapter or do these wires even matter?

It's not going to work very well. In 98 the AW4 added a front input speed sensor and the rear speed sensor changed from 1-pulse/rev to 4-pulse/rev. You can pull the tailcones and swap the rear rotor and use the 98 sensor, but that still doesn't give you the missing front sensor. The 98 TCU will throw codes if it doesn't see that sensor input.

The 96 TCU probably will not work correctly in the 98, due to changes in the OBDII. Not sure though.

i have a 97 aw4 but was told that it has some stuff different in it and will only work with 97s so i have a spare 97 but i have a 98 jeep,

userbmx1315 said:
i have a 97 aw4 but was told that it has some stuff different in it and will only work with 97s so i have a spare 97 but i have a 98 jeep,

Have a look and see if the 97 and the 98 both have the extra sensor. It's on the drivers side up, mid-way up, near the front.

Back