• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to weld!

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
What is a good entry level welder. Something that I can learn on and use on my jeep. Or what is a good welder i.e. specs that I could buy, practice, and then use on my jeep.

Thanks

First welder get a lincoln 110v but you will want a 220volt. They can be turned down just as low and are way easier to work with.

We just went through this on socalxj. Find a decent used miller or lincoln. Get the commercial one. I just picked up a Miller 130xp and love it.

For the welder I linked to the specs say:
Voltage Rating : 130 Volts
Open Circuit Voltage : 230 volts

What does this mean when I'm looking for a welder that is at least 220volts?

Thanks

First, figure out what you want to weld. That will point you to what type (stick, wire-feed, mig, etc). Then go sign up for a welding class at the local community college so that you learn the difference between pretty welds and stucturally sound welds.

I'm thinking you'd probably be happy with a 120 or 220 volt mig setup. Personally I have a Century 155GS that does everything I need it to. Get an autodarkening helmet too. Harbor freiht has them fairly cheap and it makes a world of difference.

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent mig, go ahead and spend the 600$ now on something you can learn with and will still be useful later on down the road.

I got my lincoln 175amp (220 volt) from lowes with my friends discount for right at 500$.

Do you have access to a 220v connection?

More importantly, do a lot of reading, it seems you know nothing at all about them.

I love my Hobart Handler 140, it will lay down some decent welds.

IMG_0087.jpg

Mosephus said:
I've got the top secret Hobart Automatic welder. I had to get it shipped in from Holland (where their secret facility is of course). Just sit back, grab a cold beverage and let the welder do the work. :jester:

can i have one?:)

friscokidd said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94056

cheap, easy, and good to start learning with..haha. I wouldnt do anything heavy duty or any suspension with it, but if you dont know how to weld, then i wouldnt touch suspension parts to begin with. Flame on peeps about this one..hahaha

Two welding current settings, and a 10% duty cycle at 80-amps is pretty marginal. If you're going to go cheap, at least get the 220-volt version that has the gas hookups for the same price. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55525

Ramsey said:
More importantly, do a lot of reading, it seems you know nothing at all about them.

That is correct, I have started reading and learning a little. I'm just interested and will do a lot of reading and practicing. Thanks for the feedback.

Here are my thoughts... I don't claim to be an expert, but was in your shoes a few years ago. I took a class to learn how to weld and borrowed a buddies welder until I could afford my own. I have been welding now, at least once a month, for several years. I am by no means a great (or even good) welder!

I agree with some of the advice that has been given... others (like buying a cheap welder) not so much.

If you buy a cheap welder, especially as a beginner, it can be difficult to know why welds are or aren't turning out good. Is it because the machine sucks? Is it because the cheap ass harbor freight wire that came with the machine sucks? Is it because my skills suck? Is it because the machine setting are wrong?

There are lots of variables in welding and welding is hard enough without wondering if a cheap machine is to blame for poor welds. If you buy a quality machine, and at least one size larger than you think you need - you eliminate MANY potential headaches and can focus on improving your skills. And you will wind up with a welder that should last a lifetime.

I think you should learn the basics before you strike an arc - maybe you already have; I don't know. I think GMAW/FCAW welding can give folks an undue sense of success since making a good looking weld doesn't take that long. Keep in mind that there is much more to welding than a good looking bead... and this is why reading and/or taking a welding class is invaluable.

I think you will get advice from three types of people on this...
  • Some bought the cheapest thing that will get the job done. There is nothing wrong with this, just some drawbacks as mentioned above. I am not going to sit here and tell somebody that they wasted there money on a HF welder... Many people have had good luck with this approach. Who am I to tell them otherwise... Hell, i picked up the $150 HF band saw. Its a piece of crap in terms of quality and usability, but works great when its running good.
  • Some will buy the absolute best (within reason). More power to them, at least they know they are getting quality. Only problem here is that most of us can't afford this. I think this is the type of mentality you find on Pirate quite a bit - "if you dont have the best then dont bother". I also think this is part of the "Keeping up with the Joneses" thinking. For many of us, a Miller 210 would be nice, but just not necessary.
  • I fall in the middle... Give me the best bang for my buck. This usually means I spend a little more than I originally wanted, and get a real good quality product that may be a little undervalued (or deeply discounted). I did a bunch of research before I bough my welder and I found that the Hobart 180 and 210 are REALLY good machines for the money. Are they the best? Certainly not, but its a quality machine and I fully expect my welder to last for many, many years. I went with the 210 and couldn't be happier. Made in the USA, many parts are interchangeable with Miller machines, etc

The point of my ramblings? This questions comes up all the time... and If you can figure out what kind of person you are and what you want to do with your welder, you will get much better advise on a welder that will suit your needs.

-jm

Last edited:
Depends on where you are going to use it. If you have 220 definitely get the bigger machine. Also the thickness of the steel 110, machines will be good for up to about 1/4" maybe 5/16". Heavier than that 220 will be necessary for single pass welding with out edge prep.

I learned on my own, reading really helps. Migs are the easiest of the bunch. I personally prefer miller but they are way over priced. I had a passport at my last job really a tuff machine also a Hobart handler 135 which took a beating as well. If you plan on bringing it around to different places do yourself a favor and remove the gun from the unit it will save you liners.

Wire is important you will never lay a good bead with shit wire. I like hobarts fabshield 21 or harris, I dont like the lincoln flux core. Flux core is self shielding and what I pretty much use for everything except thin sheet metal. Prep is also very important clean your weld area's well

I would definitely suggest taking a class. I haven't had an opportunity to, but there's nothing like being taught by a professional. My dad bought a Lincoln AC/DC 225 stick welder and I read a lot on the web and in a couple welding books before starting, and practiced for a week striking arcs, laying beads, and eventually sticking things together. At the end of the week I could make two pieces of steel stick together and when I would pound them apart with a hammer it wasn't the welds that failed.

I wouldnt buy the most expensive stuff, but don't buy the cheapest either. Also find a good scrap yard. The best one I've found is back home in Dayton, they have a huge selection and its 40 or 50 cents a pound.

Just realize you aren't going to take the welder home and start building a cage, it takes a lot of time to learn how to weld.

Back