• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i did search... modding stock gas tank skids to fit 97+

asp

NAXJA Forum User
what i know:
the 96 and earlier gas tank skid does not fit a late model xj without modification.
i read that zj skids are a close fit and can be easily modified.

what i would like to know:
how much does either skid have to be modified? (doesn't have to be pics, but if you have them that's great too)
what year zj skids are the ones in question?
are there any other cheap options? i assume it would be easier to modify an existing skid than to make my own from scratch, and it would probably cost about the same too.

i searched for a while and learned a little bit but am looking for more info. thanks in advance.

A ZJ is a 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee and all you have to do is redrill or enlarge two existing bolt holes to fit a ZJ gas tank skid onto an XJ.

Fitting a older pre-96 skid on a 97+ involves some cutting and grinding of the skid plate.

Skids are usually cheap at the junkyard.

Last edited:
that's true... i forgot that the zj was one specific whereas the xj had 2, kinda even 3 different generations dubbed "xj." my bad.

I just got a pre 97 I will be modifying to go on my 97. My problem is going to be dismantling my Rigid rear bumper / Tire carrier so I can squeeze this thing up there mark it off then do the mods to get it to fit.

I have a similar issue with a front skid.

I HAD NO IDEA ZJs came with Skids????????????

Hammered said:
I just got a pre 97 I will be modifying to go on my 97. My problem is going to be dismantling my Rigid rear bumper / Tire carrier so I can squeeze this thing up there mark it off then do the mods to get it to fit.

I HAD NO IDEA ZJs came with Skids????????????

yeah i didn't either till i searched while trying to avoid another post on a topic that's been covered... i don't know if all of them did or if it was some kind of package deal, maybe like the up country thing xj's have....? any one have any ideas?

how much are you having to cut? i have nut strips to put in, but no rear tow points or anything (yet).

Hammered said:

I HAD NO IDEA ZJs came with Skids

All XJ Cherokee front and transfer case skids fit on all years.

ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees had one or more option packages, including a ZJ UpCountry option, that included full skids and tow hooks.

ONLY the ZJ gas tank skid can be modified to fit an XJ, none of the other skids will work on an XJ.

Dont forget the 97+ has an additional heat shield for the plastic tank.

is it less work to modify a zj gas tank skid than a pre 96 xj gas tank skid?

RCP Phx said:
Dont forget the 97+ has an additional heat shield for the plastic tank.

The heat shield is discarded and replaced by the gas tank skid.

asp387 said:

All you have to do is redrill or enlarge two existing bolt holes to fit a ZJ gas tank skid onto an XJ.

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
The heat shield is discarded and replaced by the 97+ gas tank skid.
i've never heard of a 97+ gas tank skid... elaborate?

edit: oops, i didn't see that part of your earlier post :dunce:

asp387 said:

yes. i did it a few months ago. all you need to do is redrill/widen a few holes like someone mentioned earlier...and you're good to go.

i swear i know how to read and i'm not stupid, though you wouldn't know it by me asking the same question twice and getting the same answer. looks like i'm gonna go to the JY sometime... ZJ skid it is.

Back