• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing head question

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
I just got the replacment head in today and it is in pretty good shape! I just have to clean off all the old gasket and I should be good to go!

DSCI0033.jpg

My question is can i just go ahead and unbolt the old one and put this one right in or what do i need to do?

Ha, I thought that head looked a little short.

X2 on the cleaning and inspection. And you might want to get some new head bolts.

what about the rocker arms? can i use the ones already on the new head or should i use the old ones? is there any adjustments to these?

4x4life05 said:
but other than that...it's a direct bolt in?? i don't have to worry about anything?

Is the head from the same year range as your current head?

Do you have a FSM or at least a haynes / chilton?

You could get alot of info on the procedure by searching here, but its much easier to follow if you have a manual to read / look at.

For one your definetly going to want to have the gasket kit from the head gasket up.

If the head bolts have been used before you need to replace them.

Probably a good idea to also replace the exhaust / intake hardware as well.

You will need a torque wrench that goes to 110 ft #'s

Its all preatty much "bolt off and bolt on" except for the head area.

Use copper RTV around the intake / exhaust manifold gasket at each runner.

Get some high temperature thread sealant for the #11 head bolt. It drops down into the water jacket above the water pump...

Here are some threads to help:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=933960

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=946582

4x4life05 said:
what about the rocker arms? can i use the ones already on the new head or should i use the old ones? is there any adjustments to these?

Not really any adjustment, just use which ever ones look to have the least amount of wear.

Make sure you organize the pushrods so that you but them back on the same lifters they came off of unless you buy new ones... which may be a good idea since they are pretty cheap.

Muad'Dib said:
Is the head from the same year range as your current head? yup exact same year!

Do you have a FSM or at least a haynes / chilton? Haynes

You could get alot of info on the procedure by searching here, but its much easier to follow if you have a manual to read / look at.

For one your definetly going to want to have the gasket kit from the head gasket up. got that

If the head bolts have been used before you need to replace them. ill need to get those!

Probably a good idea to also replace the exhaust / intake hardware as well. i guess i need those too!

You will need a torque wrench that goes to 110 ft #'s

Its all preatty much "bolt off and bolt on" except for the head area.

Use copper RTV around the intake / exhaust manifold gasket at each runner.

Get some high temperature thread sealant for the #11 head bolt. It drops down into the water jacket above the water pump...

Here are some threads to help:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=933960

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=946582

thanks for all the info!!! :NAXJA: is great!! I have been reading it up in haynes but it seemed really easy! The only part i wonder about is the rocker arms...in haynes it says to remove them...but if the head im putting on already has them installed do i still have to unbolt them or is it alright to skip this step since i'll be using the ones already installed? or hey is it better to reuse the arms from the one being replaced?

It might be worth it to pull the lifters and make sure they're not gummed up. A quick soak in some carb cleaner and then pump them up sitting in a tin of clean oil will help. The 4-cyl has the advantage that the lifters can be pulled with the head still on. On the 6-cyl you gotta pull the head to get the lifters out. And yes, you need to pull off the rockers before installing the head, and then reinstall them.

Back