• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing air conditioning

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally getting around to installing air conditioning back into my XJ and have a question regarding the compressor. can I install the new compressor and drive around town without it hooked up and charged while waiting for all the extra parts to come in or does it need to be charged and hooked up for internal lubrication. The reason I am asking is the Ac bypass pulley I am running is a cheap plastic piece of sh*t that doesn't line the belt up properly with the other pulleys and the belt actually rides about 1/3 off the back of the bypass pulley and over time starts to cut a groove and eventually the belt frays and causes all kinds of havoc as it whips around under the hood.
I will probably drive it for only a month or so while the other parts come in. Thanks.

Randy

Yes, just don't connect the wire coming from the compressor clutch so it doesn't engage.

My compressor seized and I've been running it for several weeks. I'm waiting for some parts and the time to fix it.

Back