• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody Run Green Diamond Icelander's?

9lared0

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking ahead, right now I have some BFG AT's that I love, just got em in february, but thinking down the road Iowa winters dump lots of snow and the city equipment leaves a lot to be desired in the first week after a snowfall. Maybe a set of these would serve me well? Here's a link if you've never heard of them. I'm thinking of running the MT's I know they only go to 31 but that's what I have now and it's fine for me. Just looking for some feedback or thoughts

http://www.greendiamondtire.com/productswest2.html

$80 ouch?? My tires listed for $279, and luckily my friend gave me his employee discount to get them just under $200 a piece, and they are only 33's.

Is there a downside to buying tires like this? 4 tires for 200-300 bucks isn't bad at all in my book. Whats quality like?

I was wondering the same thing, I found treadwright shortly after posing this question. From what i've gathered it looks like re treads are a decent tire for a cheap price IF you don't air them down low... I doubt I would air them down much if at all, really I was looking more for an all terrain/ mud winter tire. I'm thinking a set of these would be ok for winter only, maybe not extensive summer use.

Seems alright to me I just hope someone has had experience with these before I order. :D I'm thinking about some 31's for my DD.

why would you buy a tire that could possibly fail if they are under inflated/aired down?

i know some people have had great success with them and i may get flamed for asking this question, but if they dont warranty them if they get under inflated or air down, doesnt that present an inherant danger.

at what pressure do they concider, "aired down"?

Only thing i have heard about the retreads was in a 4x4 mag. A guy got a set and used them for wheeling and a DD. and had no complaints about them??? I was thinking about getting some 35's for when my xj goes strictly trail or when my tires now wear out.

GreenDiamond aren't ordinary retreads the new tread is impregnated with bits of carbide that act like tire studs to add more traction in snow and ice. I have seen them in at a local tire shop and was tempted to buy a set.

NCCherokee said:
$80 per tire is pretty damn cheap, why ouch?
I was referencing the $180 per tire price from the OPs link.

I've got a set of the 31 OTRs from Treadwright. Not the green diamond ones though. 5 tires shipped for $380 isn't a bad deal at all.

89Daytona said:
GreenDiamond aren't ordinary retreads the new tread is impregnated with bits of carbide that act like tire studs to add more traction in snow and ice. I have seen them in at a local tire shop and was tempted to buy a set.
I'm aware of that. TreadWright (formerly High Tec Retreading) also uses green diamonds in their tires if requested.
Edit: And TreadWright's g.d. tires are only $20 more for the same tread pattern/size as their non-g.d. tires. They now refer to it as "Ultra Grip" since their company name change.

Last edited:
I'm going with a set of 31" MT ultras. I don't plan on airing down or anything like that on this jeep...just a DD. If I have any problems this is the first place im coming to share the story if it happens to be that way.

I bought ReTreads back when they were HiTech ReTreads and they were fine. They are still on the XJ, a friend owns it now. They performed well off road. I did not air down with them ever (not that I was afraid to just didn't see the point). They are loud on the road but handle fine. You do need to watch the pressure when the heat/cold changes. As long as you watch the pressure and rotate them you will be fine. Before I bought mine someone told me that they had a set they were still driving on and had them for 40,000 miles. The one I have have only been on for 1-1.5 years. Not sure how many miles.

So if you don't mind noise and watch the pressure, they are a great option, especially for the money.

I am a tire snob. Wont touch swampers/boggers/mickey redneck etc. I am more critical of tires than most people have the ability to be (years of high perf exotic cars). Its not just how many miles you get out of them, think turn-in, transition, under/over steer, blah blah blah.

For a variety of reasons I bit on the Hi-Tech retreads in 32", E load variety. Mounted myself on two-piece, beadlock wheels, and they ran up to about 75 without perceptible vibration prior to balancing. Only one needed more than a couple oz of weight to balance. These things are very well balanced from the factory (no interco unbalancable crap). Noise? yea they make a slight whine, about the same as my BFG ATs, no issue. Turn-in is very quick and they have better lateral grip than the goodyear crap I used to use (never again).

Probably about 9 months now and absolutely no regrets. They run great (on road), and I'd stack them up against goodyear/yoko/bfg/goodrich, all of which I've used. Customer service is second to none, had the tires in 3 days.

Good stuff.

Shogun, which tread (guessing the AT tread) and did you get the 'Green Diamond' compound or the standard?

Also, which GY offroad tire were you using?

--Tom

The AT tread.

Goodyear Wrangler, not wrangler at or anything, just plain wrangler. Reasonable performance, slow turn-in, moderate noise, (normal for at tire). I had more punctures in three sets of those than with any other tire on any other vehicle, all on-road. Junk, high priced junk. I've also run GSAs on another vehicle, again, unimpressed with puncture resistance and durability for a $300 tire. Nope, no more goodyear junk for me. Yokos had great performance, disappeared in only 20k miles.

Also, just to add to this. When I ordered mine I asked if I could request what type of tire mine would be built on. They stated that they could, so I had them build them off of Michelin Tires. I think that it took an extra day for me to get them, but in my opinion was worth the wait to have them build on a better tire.

Back