• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modified air box

XgeekstarX

NAXJA Forum User
trying to get some idea for modifying my stock airbox so it doesn't suck water in every time i get down in some water or mud. anyone done some sweet modifications on their box? i was considering getting something like rustys air intake but i absolutely hate K&N filters.

XgeekstarX said:
trying to get some idea for modifying my stock airbox so it doesn't suck water in every time i get down in some water or mud. anyone done some sweet modifications on their box? i was considering getting something like rustys air intake but i absolutely hate K&N filters.

Well its often overlooked and very rare but you could use a different brand of filter.....

There are several buildups in the search where gys have added a hose to the back of the box and run it to the cowl below th windshield. Then they seal off the front opening. All of them say "if you have water higher than that, you have bigger problems than hydrolocking."

I didn't find the stock air box worth modifing so I used a filter-canister assembly out of a dozer. It's completely sealed, has two filters, a centrifugal dust seperator, and a dust trap. The best thing is the fact that it filters better than my stock box while flowing more cfm.

Here's a pic of one something like mine...

G052632.jpg

truckin6382 said:
how much does something like that cost?
I got lucky and got one off ebay for like $40 shipped to my door. It's a little shorter but bigger around than the one pictured so it fits perfect where the stock air box used to. Check out www.reliableindustries.com they should have one like it, but I don't know how much they are new.

MogifiedXJ said:
I got lucky and got one off ebay for like $40 shipped to my door. It's a little shorter but bigger around than the one pictured so it fits perfect where the stock air box used to. Check out www.reliableindustries.com they should have one like it, but I don't know how much they are new.

Do you happen to have a part number or something like that to reference that by? Just curious on cfm for the filter as well..Looks like exactly what I am looking for...

Thanks

CMNCHE said:
Well its often overlooked and very rare but you could use a different brand of filter.....

i use a standard paper filter but the last 3 times i've been out i'll go to drive through some water and it keeps sucking into the airbox. i junked my k&n a long time ago.

MogifiedXJ said:

a buddy of mine works for CAT and might be able to hook me up with something. right now i think he's making himself a custom snorkel for his 78 cherokee.

Alright here's a pic of my air filter canister. I'll try to find a part number today. Eventually I'm going to run a snorkel into it...that's why I bought it in the first place because it's water tight.

P1010082.jpg

gregmondro said:
how much are filters for it?

and how often are they needed to be replaced?
I honestly don't know. It has two air filters in it...one large one about the size of the canister and another smaller one inside of it. They shouldn't have to be changed that often since it has two filters and a dust separator & trap...plus it was made for dusty excavating sites so I hoping not that often anyway.

Check out this older thread on canister housings.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51152&highlight=donaldson+air+intake

I actually ended up buying Dingo509's old Donaldson housing and he swapped to a smaller one, so the one in his pics is now in my rig with the intake routed to the cowl. I left the secondary filter out and haven't had any problem's with it. It runs smoother than it ever did with my stock paper or my old K&N panel filter.

Back