• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ba-10 to ax-15

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
ok did some searching and got some info, my buddy has a 89 with the ba-10. is the ax-15 a direct swap? using his transfer case, (dont know what it is havent looked yet)

how about a aw4 out ofthe same year?​

I believe the BA-10/5 has a 21 tooth output shaft, and the AX-15 has a 23 tooth output.
You either have to get a transfer case from a 90 and newer XJ/YJ, or change the input shaft of the current transfer case to 23 tooth.

userbmx1315 said:
ok did some searching and got some info, my buddy has a 89 with the ba-10. is the ax-15 a direct swap? using his transfer case, (dont know what it is havent looked yet)

how about a aw4 out ofthe same year?​

I'll give you this one for free (because I just know you'll get clobbered if you don't...)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388

Note that the Peugeot has a 21-spline output, while the AX-15 has a 23-spline. This requires that you either change the transfer case input gear or change the transfer case entirely. You can source a new input gear from either Novak or Advance Adapters, IIRC.

Same stricture if you go with an AW4 - get the 21-spline AW4, or a 23-spline input to go with your AW4. You'll also be needing a TCU - but the harness plugs should be there (I think.) There may be some programming differences between the A/T and M/T ECU, and you will need to change the TPS.

If "automatic" operation isn't important to you, you can omit the TCU in favour of BrettM's AW4 shifter, and you probably won't need to change the TPS, either. However, you will need to keep track of what gear you're in and stir your own slush if you go that route (just without the clutch pedal, and only four gears.)

Back