• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5" extreme duty long arm kit

nu2jeep

NAXJA Forum User
im looking on getting that lift for my XJ, what are the best shocks to get with the kit?

XJ 4.5"-5.5" RUBICON TWIN-TUBE
XJ 4.5"-5.5" DT3000 SHOCK KIT
XJ 4.5"-5.5" RUBICON MONO-TUBE
XJ 4.5"-5.5" RUBICON TWIN-TUBE
XJ 5.5"-7.5" RUBICON MONO-TUBE

what other things will i need to get?

uh-oh....

(waiting for the obligatory "you don't want that kit, buy brand X instead" replies)

PS-I run that kit and it's a very good quality system.

I'd get the 5.5-7.5 mono tube and bumpstop appropriately that way you know you won't be limited on up or down travel and the bumpstops will stop the tires before they rub. Looks like a good kit and I'd recommend welding parts of the crossmember to the frame rails just for added strength. Looks like a similar design to the TNT Y link kit only the center of the crossmember looks like it's removable if needed instead of 1 piece. Just don't forget you'll also need a SYE and CV driveshaft in the rear with that high of a lift.

dave92cherokee said:
I'd get the 5.5-7.5 mono tube and bumpstop appropriately that way you know you won't be limited on up or down travel and the bumpstops will stop the tires before they rub. Looks like a good kit and I'd recommend welding parts of the crossmember to the frame rails just for added strength. Looks like a similar design to the TNT Y link kit only the center of the crossmember looks like it's removable if needed instead of 1 piece. Just don't forget you'll also need a SYE and CV driveshaft in the rear with that high of a lift.

thanks

i was just looking at the rough country 6.5 inch lift. its cheaper, but what would be better?
i know you get what you pay for, but is there really a big difference?

I would get some bilsteins. The mono tubes aren't a bad choice tho. Definately don't let your shocks be your limiting straps.

nu2jeep said:
thanks

i was just looking at the rough country 6.5 inch lift. its cheaper, but what would be better?
i know you get what you pay for, but is there really a big difference?

Yes you get what you pay for. R.E. is top notch and you won't be disappointed with it on the street or off road. I vote for the monotubes or bilstein 5100 or 5150's either one.

My buddy ran a Rough Country lift on his XJ and it was as bad as my old ProComp kit I had. It was ok but you get what you pay for.

rokjeep said:
Yes you get what you pay for. R.E. is top notch and you won't be disappointed with it on the street or off road. I vote for the monotubes or bilstein 5100 or 5150's either one.

My buddy ran a Rough Country lift on his XJ and it was as bad as my old ProComp kit I had. It was ok but you get what you pay for.

thanks, that is what i thought, im gonna have to go with the RE then. ill probably be getting bilsteins too, thanks for the help.

im also gonna need a CV drive shaft and slip yoke eliminator right? where can i get those?

Georgia Mike said:
(waiting for the obligatory "you don't want that kit, buy brand X instead" replies)

PS-I run that kit and it's a very good quality system.
You should go with the TNT long arm kit...it is the best. Just playing, but I ran the monotubes when I had a RE kit and they are good shocks. However, if I was paying the high dollar for that kit I would probably run some 5150's. Good luck with your decision.

my sister in law has Bilsteins on hers, and i have OME on mine. both of those are faily nice. I think i like my OME a lil more than the bilsteins. They seem a lil softer

I actually ordered my kit off of an eBay vendor. It came with free RE shocks (the cheapest ones, I'm sure), two free t-shirts, and free shipping. The shocks aren't the best in the world, but they will suffice until I can afford better ones.

I used the PORC SYE kit with a Grand Cherokee front driveshaft, which I had to have lengthened, but it was the onl;y one I could find, and I was in a crunch for time. The guy at the driveline shop said it had the thickest walled tube he'd seen in a front shaft.

Georgia Mike said:
I actually ordered my kit off of an eBay vendor. It came with free RE shocks (the cheapest ones, I'm sure), two free t-shirts, and free shipping. The shocks aren't the best in the world, but they will suffice until I can afford better ones.

I used the PORC SYE kit with a Grand Cherokee front driveshaft, which I had to have lengthened, but it was the onl;y one I could find, and I was in a crunch for time. The guy at the driveline shop said it had the thickest walled tube he'd seen in a front shaft.

what were the specs on the GC? I am doing a SYE and I need a ds. What is the difference between a Cherokee and GC front driveshaft?

EvanH said:
what were the specs on the GC? I am doing a SYE and I need a ds. What is the difference between a Cherokee and GC front driveshaft?
Don't know the differences, other than the GC shaft seems to be a little shorter. If you can find a front shaft from an automatic equipped XJ, it may not need any modifications to work.

Back