• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Skids ... anyone use them ?

mikegronholz

NAXJA Forum User
Been contemplating getting one of these from Nth mobility (now AEV). Anyone use something like this ?

NTH24200.jpg

I run one similar on my rear axle. its not bad, doesnt affect clearance much b/c of how tight it fits against the diff. I peeled back my stock cover a bit on a rock once, and it was a gift from a dude I got some tires off of (thanks Matt) b/c he upgraded his rear axle and it didnt fit anymore....

Anyway, long story short, I like it. :D

EDIT: I just ordered an oil pan skid from the "new" Nth Degree/AEV....and my buddy said its super beefy and looks like a great piece (I havent seen it for myself). So it looks like AEV is keeping with the high quality of Nth Degree stuff...

EDIT2: http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/rockit_gliders.htm thats the one I have (its from Turbo City/Rock-It) they make one for the C8.25

Last edited:
I see that you have gears and lockers, so that means lots of expensive stuff to protect from the rocks. I'd say go for it if you can live with a little less ground clearance.

Hey, I checked out their website and they say that the ground clearance loss is marginal, so that means you get tons of protection with barely any ground clearance loss. Cool man!

I have the oil pan skid ... you will need to clearance it a little for 2000 and 2001 ... but I really like mine.

I wheel with a guy who has diff skids, he's constantly hanging them up on logs and biting the sharp edge on same. Looks like the design of the ones you posted is a little better than his, so that may not be a concern. Unless you wheel in wicked big rocks, a diff skid is a waste of time IMO. Diff castings are thick, throw on a set of thick diff covers, grind the bottom edge flush with the casting, and you're good to go.

Go with the AEV skid. My buddy runs the Turbo City skid on the d44 rear of his 5.9L and he's mangled it a couple of times now. I just wish I could see the other side of the AEV skid to see if the mounting points are any better than the Turbo City skid.

The AEV skid mounts with 3 ubolts ... 1 over the pinion and 1 over each axle tube with recessed bolts.

Back