• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of obstacles will 31's get me through?

Maxamillion

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
You've heard part of this story before, so I'll summarize. Just got my first 4 wheel drive, (an XJ!) and its almost trail and road ready now. I replaced the ragged out suspension with a 3 inch lift kit, and got some 31X10.5's. Everything else is stock. Before I tore down the suspension, I was amazed at how easily the jeep would creep up very steep inclines. I'm now wondering what sort of things the new set up will get me through. Would upgrading to 33''s in the future really increace the number of places I could go?

Max

you stay at 31s.. learn what your doing.. buy some armor.. bumpers, skid everything imaginable., and depending on your budget it may ...buy shoudlnt speed up the process.. dont be in a rush for 33s . have fun where your at. for the love of jeeps dont be one of the new yahoos that want a monster right away.. slowly young grasshoper

i know people that can do more then me with 31s, its all about knowing how to drive, you can have alot of fun on 31s

ha, its all good i know im not the best, ive done more the guys on 38s, same thing

Sounds good guys! I'm not a stranger to off-road, I had a baja beetle before this rig. Proper skid plates would have greatly extended its lifespan. That is going to be upgrade #1. (The lift was routine maintance, the stock stuff was all blown :))

You'd be surprised what an XJ with a small lift and some good driving will get through. At NACfest this June, the 'stocker' group (no one was actually stock, but there were two XJs with 2" lifts, one with 30" ATs and me with 31" MTs) ran the same intermediate-level trail that the 'intermediate group' was running, and we were followed by a group of Ford Broncos on 35s, locked front and rear. And we didn't have any real carnage, just cosmetic stuff.

31's are a good size. As stated above, it's all about driver ability. The only times i've gotten hung up were due to me having my head in my butt and getting hung up in a rutt.

My brother had 31's on his XJ as well...he always impressed me with the places he could go (good driver).

With 31's, locker(s) and the right spirit, you can accomplish courses you never thought would be possible.

Just be prepared to spend some time being high-centered, bring recovery gear.

ive been very happy with 31's. im able to keep up with most people and is very street friendly...

DSC01279.jpg

:rolleyes:
misterjeeper said:
Stock jeep is better than built up ANYTHING else!

Back