• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

m.o.r.e. engine mounts

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
just put in the rubber mounts from m.o.r.e. and have bad vibes and now sounds like i have a header. i think i bolted down the motor a little crooked. gonna loosen the bolts and straighten it up tomorrow. i just wasn't sure if being a little twisted left to right would make it vibe or not. i would have thought the rubber would have taken care of that regardless.

tsill said:
just put in the rubber mounts from m.o.r.e. and have bad vibes and now sounds like i have a header. i think i bolted down the motor a little crooked. gonna loosen the bolts and straighten it up tomorrow. i just wasn't sure if being a little twisted left to right would make it vibe or not. i would have thought the rubber would have taken care of that regardless.
The torsion rubber mounts are softer than their full poly mounts but they still are not OEM-feel. You may have it in crooked but I think what you're feeling may be normal for the MORE mounts. They made my 90 XJ sound and feel just like yours.

When I put my MORE mounts in, I also had some vibes. But the next day, I drove down to San Diego and back, and haven't had a problem since.

They may take a few miles to "break in".

after i installed my M.O.R.E. mounts the sound of my exhaust manifold crack increased tenfold.

deciding on a renix header as i type this.

either a header or weld up my spare manifold and swap it in along with a flexpipe nearby.

whatever the case may be im not going back to OEM mounts, im sold on mine.

Installed mine on my 99, used grease to slide bolts in. Installed fairly easy with floor jack under engine. Did not notice increased vibration.

I too noticed the increased vibes, they calmed down a bit after a couple hundred miles, but it still vibrates more than the stock mounts.

But I don't have to worry about tearing the rubber out and grinding my fan on the shroud anymore, so I'm willing to live with it.

As others have said, the MORE bushings are stiffer (and far more substantial) than the OEM mounts.

I've been running them for a couple of years now - yes, they transmit a little more vibration at idle, but they've been as smooth as OEM once moving since about 200 miles after installation. They'll never be as smooth/quiet at idle as OEM, but they will give much more peace of mind in terms of durability and longevity.

Give them a little time (and a tank's worth of miles or so).

Rob

Mine vibed a bit at first, but they seem to have calmed down, only get a vibe at or near idle now, and it doesn't bother me as much now that I'm used to hearing it.

When I installed the MORE mounts on my '96 it increased every single vib what feels like about 5-fold... and they haven't gotten much smoother/quieter in about 4K miles. HOWEVER... there is no more flex when standing on the throttle pedal and my mechanical fan no longer rubs on my 'new' radiator. These do give a great about of peace of mind.

I'm not sure you can actually put these in w/your motor being twisted. I'd bet more than likely your motor was a bit twisted (like mine was) w/the rubber mounts in there. I think it's just the nature of the beast to so speak.

Any little vib or rub or sound will get magnified w/these... but they will or should not ever fail like the OE Rubber mounts will.

I'm seriously thinking about pulling out my seats and carpet and installing some sound deadening material throughout just to help w/the vibrations and noise.... but hey, it's only a Jeep right... ;)

Muad'Dib said:
Speaking of MORE mounts, i wonder if anyone has tried these brown dog motor mounts:

http://browndogindustries.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2

Seems they would hold up strength wise, and i wonder if they transmit vibes like the rubber MORE's. They are also alot cheaper.

I've got the Brown Dog MM on my 91. They definitely transmit more vibes than the stock, though I can't compare them to the MORE mounts. Every time my wife gets in my XJ she always mentions it.

menos said:
I've got the Brown Dog MM on my 91. They definitely transmit more vibes than the stock, though I can't compare them to the MORE mounts. Every time my wife gets in my XJ she always mentions it.

Im starting to wonder if they are basically the same, just one is less expensive and made by a different company.

Redsnake said:
When I installed the MORE mounts on my '96 it increased every single vib what feels like about 5-fold... and they haven't gotten much smoother/quieter in about 4K miles. HOWEVER... there is no more flex when standing on the throttle pedal and my mechanical fan no longer rubs on my 'new' radiator. These do give a great about of peace of mind.

I'm not sure you can actually put these in w/your motor being twisted. I'd bet more than likely your motor was a bit twisted (like mine was) w/the rubber mounts in there. I think it's just the nature of the beast to so speak.

Any little vib or rub or sound will get magnified w/these... but they will or should not ever fail like the OE Rubber mounts will.

I'm seriously thinking about pulling out my seats and carpet and installing some sound deadening material throughout just to help w/the vibrations and noise.... but hey, it's only a Jeep right... ;)

I havent had the chance to get to the jeep but its nice to hear most vibes settle out after some driving time. These mounts are pretty beefy but i wish they would have welded the whole piece. On mine they are just a little more than tack welded in a couple places on both mounts. I'm sure its fine but just thought it was strange.

I've run two sets of MORE mounts on XJ's with 4.0's and just got a set of Brown Dog Mounts for my MJ 2.5. I haven't run the brown dogs yet so can't comment on vibes, but I'm sure they'll be a little more pronounced due to poly vs. rubber. I prefer the MORE's fit & finish though. The MORE's have a more professional appearance (zinc coated vs. spray painted) and fit. The Brown dog's required 3 washers to shim the mount in the bracket (not included) and used a 1/2" id metal sleeve for a smaller metric bolt, so I also had to go buy some 1/2" bolts & drill out the bracket just slightly as I didn't like the looseness. The MORE's also have an extra vertical support for the mount in the middle that the brown dog's don't. Last of all, , I guess it's by design, but the brown dogs metal sleeve doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the poly, so you can't overtighten anything, you simply have to rely on a locknut or thread locker. I'm keeping the brown dogs and I'm going to use them, but if MORE made 2.5L mounts, I would have rather gotten them.

xj92 said:
I've run two sets of MORE mounts on XJ's with 4.0's and just got a set of Brown Dog Mounts for my MJ 2.5. I haven't run the brown dogs yet so can't comment on vibes, but I'm sure they'll be a little more pronounced due to poly vs. rubber. I prefer the MORE's fit & finish though. The MORE's have a more professional appearance (zinc coated vs. spray painted) and fit. The Brown dog's required 3 washers to shim the mount in the bracket (not included) and used a 1/2" id metal sleeve for a smaller metric bolt, so I also had to go buy some 1/2" bolts & drill out the bracket just slightly as I didn't like the looseness. The MORE's also have an extra vertical support for the mount in the middle that the brown dog's don't. Last of all, , I guess it's by design, but the brown dogs metal sleeve doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the poly, so you can't overtighten anything, you simply have to rely on a locknut or thread locker. I'm keeping the brown dogs and I'm going to use them, but if MORE made 2.5L mounts, I would have rather gotten them.

Wow these spammers are on the prawl tonight. It must be the year of the DOUCHEBAG in China!

Anyway...

I like my BrownDog motor mounts. I didn't experience any looseness as the bolt fits nicely in the bushing collar.

The only thing I had to do was trim the end of the bushing down to fit between each of the motor mount brackets. Not sure why, nobody who used BrownDog mounts before with an XJ had any problems!

Blaine B. said:
I didn't experience any looseness as the bolt fits nicely in the bushing collar.

The only thing I had to do was trim the end of the bushing down to fit between each of the motor mount brackets.

You're an idiot. I posted my experience, as did you. Oh well, off to another thread without catfights.

The Brown dog motor mounts look like Rusty's mounts. I never could get Rusty's motor mounts to fit even with grinding and cutting. As I recall I won them from the raffle at the first Forum Fest, so no great loss.

Fred

xj92 said:
You're an idiot. I posted my experience, as did you. Oh well, off to another thread without catfights.

WHOA who the hell do you think you are? I can post my experience too, as to not create a bias on your part.

Unless you were working on theo ther side against Browndog Industries, I could see your motive.

Blaine B. said:
WHOA who the hell do you think you are? I can post my experience too, as to not create a bias on your part.

Unless you were working on theo ther side against Browndog Industries, I could see your motive.

re-read your post. you jumped down the guy's throat for posting his opinion.

I didn't know not preferring the same product at you would make me a douchebag.

Are you working for Browndog? Did someone just insult your product?

Back