• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ lift

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
My friend purchased an 88' MJ this past weekend and it came with a 2 inch rough country lift(judging by there shocks). He is upgrading to a 6.5" longarm and he said i can have the lift springs and shocks. My question is how is the rear lifted? There are 5 leaves with a very apparent added leaf that looks like it belongs to an S-10 but not sure how there lifted due to the axle being over the frame. The shackle is stock but it had 17" inch rims with 31" tires with a tone of wheel well room. So any ideas if i can use the rear lift? This thing also came with what looks like a load rear bias brake control a 4.0L, auto, np231, disco-d30, and a dana 44.

rearbrakesMJ.jpg

heres what i was talking about, that arm is attached directly to the rear axle. Not sure what it does?

MJ springs are longer than XJ springs, and meant for spring under.

No way, are you sure?... Yeah i knew that i asked what do they do to give it the lift when the axle is over the spring? I know they use add-a-leafs but it must re-arch the spring to give it more lift, but this jeep has one tiny add-a-leaf that looks like the overload off of a s-10.

mj's had overload springs too... it could be add a leaf. lifting sua is the same as soa but you can't use blocks. thats pretty much the only major difference and doesn't really matter since you shouldnt run them anyway. but, your best bet imo would be to use the packs to make a bastard pack out of your xj leaves. they won't bolt in. all the front stuff's the same and that linkage connected to the axle is a load sensing brake proportioning valve- mine is bypassed and hit the trash pile a long time ago.

That arm looking part on the rear axle is a height-sensing proportion valve. It pushes more fluid to the rear brakes when there is a heavier load in the bed.

BADaXJ said:
mj's had overload springs too... it could be add a leaf. lifting sua is the same as soa but you can't use blocks. thats pretty much the only major difference and doesn't really matter since you shouldnt run them anyway. but, your best bet imo would be to use the packs to make a bastard pack out of your xj leaves. they won't bolt in. all the front stuff's the same and that linkage connected to the axle is a load sensing brake proportioning valve- mine is bypassed and hit the trash pile a long time ago.

Since its only a 2" BB just buy a shackle for the rear.

Actually that should have answered you question... but I will elaborate anyway.

Are the springs over or under the axle? You said frame, I'm assuming you meant axle though.

If he went from spring under to spring over the leaves would have to get flatter to net only 2" of lift, because just going from spring under to spring over with the stock leaves gives you about ~6" or lift.

If you want to use the springs you will have to move your shackle back.

And that thing... it does exactly what you think it does, more weight in the back more brakes in the back. It's stock. My '87, 2WD, 2.5L MJ has it also.

Hey guys i know it is off topic but i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a free or cheap manual for an 89 cherokee xj laredo might not have spelled that right. thanks for the help PM me

Unless you want A TON of lift on your xj I wouldn't use the MJ leaves. Because they are longer they would have a ton of arch to fit on an XJ. On rustys site they say that the 3" mj leaves give lie 8" of lift if you were to squeze them on a xj.

I can't use shakles my suspension is sacked and the shocks are destroyed but i can have everything off of the MJ for free.

take it and sell it, somebody somewhere will pay you for it.

just use a couple springs to build a bastard pack. should give a good amount of lift and a decent ride...mj shackles are a bit longer than xj shackles too if you felt like swapping them. longer shackles will help the leaves flex. i know you said you couldn't use them but if you build a bastard pack, it'll hold up fine to shackles and ride/flex better.

Back