• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half Doors

doinky72

NAXJA Forum User
Well here goes.....

The first thing I wanted to do is make my doors easaly removable so I modified the hinge

hinge.jpg

Now I can just drop the door on and off as I please. I may get another door for weather proofing the rig over the winter.

Then I maped out the angles I wanted and took out the angle grinder....

outerdoorcut.jpg

Then cut the back to match.....

completedcut.jpg

and here is the reference point...

chris1doorshot.jpg

There will be more updates latter this week I hope.....

Things to do:
- Weld in sheetmetal
- Sound proofing
- install some sort of latch to open the door right now I'm using the original linkage from the door and just pull on it.

Any sugestions comments are welcome.
Chris

I plan to do snaps arround so that if i get cought in a storm I will still stay some what dry. I still drive this from time to time. So I want to keep it some what water tight.

How did some of you all do the door latches?

I was planning on using a pull latch from a cj to pull the cable. Anyone else done something like that?

1sickhick said:
Those are cool.Why is all of your hinge off??

I had a problem with the hinge pulling the hinge away from the body. So I had to replace the metal behind it and weld the hinges back on. I don't have any pics but it was a huge PITA because I had a problem lineing up the hinges at first.

doinky72 said:
Yeah that was the plan. What did you use to make the circle. I was planning on using some exahust tubing.

I found a soup can that was just a bit bigger than a soda can, then traced it out w/ a marker, then just cut it out w/ a jig saw/plasma cutter/grinder. I took that same soup can and wrapped some sheetmetal around it and tacked it together, then welded a bottom on it

I built it to fit a smaller bottle of water or gatorade, and a soda can has maybe 1/4" space around it and sticks up about 1"

RlCHARD CRANlUM said:
P1020985.jpg

Don'f forget the back ones...

I'm planning to keep the rear doors the way they are right now. I don't see the point of having the extra site from the back. Really I have no seat back there any way so it wouldn't make much sence.

Chris @ GATR said:
What is the point of a hacked up door? So you can reach with drive through drawer at the bank? :D

I'm kinda a big guy (aka fat) So fitting my head through the little window so I could see my front tire was a bit difficult. Oh and my head is really big :eeks1:

Also I got the sheet metal so I should be able to start skining this door tonight.

I hope I can give you guys something to look at tomorrow.

It's kinda late (with the supports you have), but I found it was much easier to weld the new top to the door skin by making it 2 inches wider than needed, and bending the extra inch on each side down.

You can kind of see what I mean in this photo of my door latch....

Daryl

Back