• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Spill

md11fan

NAXJA Forum User
So today i was transporting a jug of about 3qts of engine oil. So when i got out to get it out it was all over the back of my xj!! I tried my best to get the most that i could out but there is still alot left that has found its way deep into the carpet. So does anyone have any tricks or tips?? please i need all the help i can get

rip that carpet out and go down and pick up a can of herculiner...

Or get new carpet, your gonna have lots of fun trying to get the oil out of the carpet.

my best advice is to get a fine cat litter and rub it in to the carpet with a stiff brush and then use a shop vac to clean that up. then look in to renting a heated carpet cleaner or steam cleaner and go to town. it will never be perfect but getting as much oil out of it before using any soaps is the key to not letting the mess spread

remove the carpet-use kitty litter to absorb the oil-use some tide laundry soap and scrud area with a stiff brush-use a powerwasher to remove the oil and soap-dry carpet with a shop vac or air-repeat soap and powerwash if needed.....good luck David

SlimsXJ said:
remove the carpet-use kitty litter to absorb the oil-use some tide laundry soap and scrud area with a stiff brush-use a powerwasher to remove the oil and soap-dry carpet with a shop vac or air-repeat soap and powerwash if needed.....good luck David

The tide and hot water will get ot out of the metal after the carpet is out. The carpet,scrub with tide and hot water and then finish it off with a scrub of simple green then power wash. It really should be nice and clean with no residue.

Thanks for all the replys today i am going to try the kitty litter method but i am still wondering how do you pull the carpet up?? sorry tottal noob question.

md11fan said:
Thanks for all the replys today i am going to try the kitty litter method but i am still wondering how do you pull the carpet up?? sorry tottal noob question.

Yes...that is a total noob question.
If you can't figure out how to pull your carpet (Grimm...what am I gonna' say?) sell your Jeep because you are not smart enough to own one.
Come on now...look at your project. Try to figure out how it was installed in the first place then reverse the installation process.
BTW if you are going to pull the carpet, you might find it more effective to just replace it with a junk yard pull out. If you want to at least give it a shot, find some citrus based cleaner (Orangina, Citrisolve etc.) for the carpet. You probably won't be able to find a way to get the oil out of the padding, just replace the padding...

Rick

rick you ass :D

seriously tho, its not that hard.the only hard parts are getting around the seatbelt mounts. i found it easier to just slit it with a razor blade, its under the seat anyway.

you will need to pull the carpet anyway, or the stink monster will get you. moisture from cleaning it will end up between the body and the carpet, and mold will grow. your XJ will smell like a wet sock for about a year. just pull it out and junk it, go to the junkyard and get one thats in decent shape, and spend your time cleaning THAT one. oil is terrible to get out of fabric, especially carpet.

Pull the carpet and rub it down with a stiff brush and hand cleaner (i.e. GOJO or like) with water. PIA but thats what I did it worked pretty good.

Back