• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed Zj Steering

cds36

NAXJA Forum User
Well after having my rubicon tie rod I thought id change it up a little bit so decided to try the Zj steering. The kit Thanks to GERR has everything you need for the bolt on steering.

Draglink, Tierod, Tierod ends.
2430021380_7060bf9292.jpg

This is my rubicon tierod setup ....

2429208237_5f56433fa7.jpg

After taking out the RE tierod I noticed right away that the tierod ends on the Zj were alot beefier than th RE. The tierod themselves were pretty much the same size. I know the RE is chromoly Im not sure if the zj is but iknow its solid compared to the stock hollow.

2430020270_6cd747cd76.jpg

RE top, Zj bottom

2430020660_9f0e13f3fc.jpg

Pretty damm beefy

2430019940_4dfc69c4ce.jpg

The install took maybe 1 hour if that. While I was down there I tightened up all my suspension.

2430019564_946ea44363.jpg

Well after driving it it feels pretty damm good I must say, A definate step up tierod end wise from the RE Tierod ends. It need to be aligned to get the total feel of it. I will post the results after the alignment. If you are interested in getting the kit contact GERR whole sells the kit. Great guy and Fast Service you wont go wrong

all my stock tie rods are worn out and ripped...

how much did the whole kit run ya?

i think ill order this with my new lca's...

perhaps ill finally get that OME ride quality :laugh3:

I installed the V8 ZJ tierod on my XJ, but at the junkyard, the XJ draglink looked identical to the V8 ZJs, can you confirm if it actually is bigger?

Daedalus454 said:
I installed the V8 ZJ tierod on my XJ, but at the junkyard, the XJ draglink looked identical to the V8 ZJs, can you confirm if it actually is bigger?

Im pretty damm sure the draglinks are identical ..

Not to step on GERRs' sales but. In my replies to the thread listed below I listed the moog numbers for all of the zj tre upgrade and listed walk in prices at the time for O'Reilly auto parts. These can be converted/crossed to other name brand parts at any parts store. Towards the end of the below link I listed the differances between the differant year drag links(they are mynute).
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=944708&highlight=tie+rod+ends

cds36 said:
The draglink i beleive is the same or identical to stock
Draglink isnt bigger......but the ZJ isnt hollow is it? It is heavier...so it must either be solid, or thicker .....

ZJeepX said:
Is the ZJ draglink beefier too?

Yes and no. The ZJ drag link will be an upgrade for the older XJ's (1984-1990) with the smaller tie rod end on the drag link (only 20mm). The newer XJ's (1991+) along with the ZJ's have the larger 22mm tie rod end so no need to swap drag links here.

so since i have a 00 what would i need to order to get the "beefier" steering cheap?

i was looking at some parts stores a couple days ago about the draglinks. the v8 zj draglink has a different part number than the xj's and it is actually cheaper. not sure if there are any other differences though

if anyone is interested in just the tie rod section I can get a quote to them about that but for most xj's the zj drag link is a upgrade as the tre is smaller and weaker for the majority of years the xj was made. and all of my parts come with a 12month/12,000 mile warranty I doubt the parts stores will do that for ya.

If you are gonna spend that much on stock replacement parts, why not just make your own steering? DOM and heim joints aren't that high, and WAY stronger than even "swedged" drag link/toe bars...

I just took Gerr up on this deal and I have to say that the shipping is pretty darn impressive. I ordered Tuesday and it was at my door when I got home today. Thanks a lot.

However, I want to have cds36 come work on my Jeep. 1 hour to install??? You are one lucky guy. I have about 2.5 hours into it and I still don't have the old steering off (granted it took me about an hour to get the skid plate off the front since one of the "frame" nuts broke free and I had to figure out how to cut the bolt).

Anyone have any good ideas on how to get the one joint out of the pitman arm w/o taking the pitman arm off and putting it in a press (like my pitman arm would come off anyways considering I can't even get the stupid ball joints out)?

Back