• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing XJ Knuckle when Suspended on Ball Joints

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing the unit bearing, axle shaft u-joints and the ball joints on my '97 D30. I've got everything apart and the steering knuckle is clinging to the ball joint studs. I have both upper and lower nuts on the joint stud but lowered to permit the knuckle to fall without dropping to the concrete once it is free from the conical stud.

Problem is I cannot get the knuckle to drop. I've tried several whacks with my 8 lb sledge and still no luck. The FSM says to do exactly what I've done using a brass hammer. Still, I'm missing something. What is it?

What is the best location to strike the steering knuckle to break it loose from the ball joint studs?

Thanks,

Rick

I use 2 ballpen hammers. put the "ball" of one on the small flat spot at the top of the knuckle, strike the hammer with another much larger hammer or mini sledge. Takes about 4 whacks most of the time. This is normal, they should not just fall off.

Guys,

Thanks for the speedy responses! The referral websites were excellent. I know of Stu's & MADXJ's sites but apparently I do not read them enough...

The location called out in both sites is where I've been striking the knuckle but no luck. That little shelf is an obvious location. It's too late to try this now but I'll continue with what I was doing first thing in the morning.

Thanks again,

Rick

Use the two hammer method on the MadXJ page. It may take a good bit of pounding.

after about 10 minutes, one 8lb sledge KIA, too many 12lb deadblow ballpeen hammer blows and one pair of safety glasses later one of the two knuckles fell off.

my friend's came off in about 3 solid blows of a 5lb sledge

keep swinging and use proper protection!

Back