• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sat @ the hammers...

ruggedjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Wow where do I begin. What a long day yesterday. Left the house at 5am got to Boone road at 8, pulled to the side and waited for Matty and Kyung. They arrived around 845 or so and I was gonna follow them to the lake bed. Jumped in the rig, attempt to the start it up and BAM.. key cylinder is stuck. Tried everything, jiggled the key, twisted, turned, nothing. Matty turned around after realizing im not behind him and came back. Him and Kyung had thier way with it also and nada, i ripped apart the column and we started making phone calls to fellow NAXJA peeps. In the meantime i had called AAA to send a locksmith. When they finally had one in route they called me back and said it would $250 :mad: Whatever, at this point i didnt care. Matty was nice enough to drive to the nearest gas station, hit the ATM and as we arrived back to Boone, the locksmith pulled in behind us. Took him about 20min, he ended up twisting the old cylinder off with a pair of vice grips, dropped in a new cylinder and made me a new set of keys(really worth $250 right??) Anyway, so after parking mattys truck and trailer we made our way to claw, er i mean sledge :D What a badass f*@kin trail. We were kicking ass and crawling right through.. then we hit some traffic, group of 4 rigs infront of us kind of held us up but whatever, we werent in a rush. Kyung did a great job spotting, got us through the trail. Matty pulled some sick lines, especially at the waterfall where the slede plack is. We make it to the end of the trail unharmed and very minimal body damage, we meet the other 4 rigs, again having some issues so we wait it out. Finally matty pulls up, climbs the last waterfall pulls up and now my turn. It required some bumping to get up the last ledge, I had it at one point but i let off the throttle and slid backed down. So now im wedged inbetween two rocks, i give it another go and BAM.. I thought i snapped a rear shaft then matty noticed my rear D-shaft hanging down. So we winch up to a flat spot so we could wrench. Pulled the shaft off, Matty had a spare but was to long. Regardless, the strap bolt broke clean inside the pinion yoke and we had no way of getting it out. So were pretty much done with the trail, all theres left is about a 30yard sand dune to the top of the hill. Well in front wheel drive only, and 4 HI while overheating it took us 5 hours to make it to the top. Matty and Kyung rock for being so patient and helping me out, im pretty sure they were pissed and annoyed but they didnt show it. :cheers: Finally made back onto the 247 and we went out own way, driving in front wheel drive 4hi, i was doing about 55mph when all of sudden Jeep dips to the left pulls hard. I pull over and of course, the tired spit out the valve stem. Now its midnight, on the side of the247 windy as hell, I changed out the tire and got back on the road. Made it home in about 3.5hrs. Okay enough of this ... picture below...
IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

My brand new muffler... :cool:
IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Thank god for one ton steering...
IMG_0321.jpg

My thoughts...
IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

the 30 is exhausted after the drive home... spitting some fluid..
IMG_0329.jpg

Matty has some cool pics too, not sure if he got any of the actual damage or the recovery. Bottom line, i had a freakin blast, loved the JV wheeling. Ive got a new list of spares i will carry from now on, including a drill :D Cant wait to get back out there.

-Mike

Saweeeeeeeet! I love carnage, hella' an adventure. Finally got my YJ JV ready, went to BBear this weekend to find any bugs, minor glitches. Gotta' get the XJ up to par. Nice pics guys.

Last edited:
cool pics mike..... super fun day bro. Just the ending was a little crazy!

i posted some pics in your other "thankyou" thread.. check em out.

WOW.. What an ADVENTURE!!!!

I'm starting to get jealous of your guy's rigs.. :sad1:

I DO have an "extra" XJ to play around with.. :shhh: Maybe one of these days I'll be able to keep up with you guys... :guitar: :D

I really don't think Matty and Kyung were pissed. You would have done the same thing if they broke down..

E

Last edited:
EliasJ123 said:
WOW.. What an ADVENTURE!!!!

I really don't think Matty and Kyung were pissed. You would have done the same thing if they broke down..

E

absolutely right.... i was never pissed at you Mike... Sure it got a little frustrating towards the end but as they say "Shit happens".

all good my man, i know you and any of the other NAXJA boys would do the same for us. That's one part of what makes our group special. Stick together even through the shit!

mattyj said:
absolutely right.... i was never pissed at you Mike... Sure it got a little frustrating towards the end but as they say "Shit happens".

all good my man, i know you and any of the other NAXJA boys would do the same for us. That's one part of what makes our group special. Stick together even through the shit!
:guitar: :guitar:

mattyj said:

So what you are saying is, Mike ain't invited to the next JV run?

;)

Cool recap Mike. Damn it was fun wasn't it?

Rick, sounds like you should have been there!!!:looser: :conceited

Hey Matty! I did not know u were only goin to have two rigs and Rick was not goin to b there or my guys and me would have joined ya maybe , but we also had a great time and need one or two more runs before the weather gets to hot sounds like u could have used a couple of V8's for extraction, your junk looks great with no doors hatch etc u got the best spotter in the bus. but wheres his junk.........SANTA

4xSanta said:
Hey Matty! I did not know u were only goin to have two rigs and Rick was not goin to b there or my guys and me would have joined ya maybe , but we also had a great time and need one or two more runs before the weather gets to hot sounds like u could have used a couple of V8's for extraction, your junk looks great with no doors hatch etc u got the best spotter in the bus. but wheres his junk.........SANTA
My junk is lacking a cylinder head. Being rebuilt.

4xSanta said:
, your junk looks great with no doors hatch etc the bus.
SANTA
Honestly from the last trip in AZ to now, it wheels like a whole new rig. The whole thing just feels way lighter & better in off cambers now with the doors & hatch gone. The visibility is insane, i love it.... At first i was thinking the doors might go back on, but after wheeling... hell no. Boatsides are next on the list.... plasma cutter here i come....
Plus went to some heavier valving in the shocks up front... it feels really balanced now.
Im stoked with how its progressing!!

mattyj said:
Honestly from the last trip in AZ to now, it wheels like a whole new rig. The whole thing just feels way lighter & better in off cambers now with the doors & hatch gone. The visibility is insane, i love it.... At first i was thinking the doors might go back on, but after wheeling... hell no. Boatsides are next on the list.... plasma cutter here i come....
Plus went to some heavier valving in the shocks up front... it feels really balanced now.
Im stoked with how its progressing!!
I'm all for what u are sayin but at this point i'm a sheetmetal man when I run my junk with all the extra crap back at camp it's like a new rig with all that weight loss.......SANTA

Back